How do YOU do Verbal?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MDJerome

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I read a lot of strategy guides suggesting alternative ways to approach the verbal section - but I was curious. For those who are actually getting 10+ consistently on Verbal, how are you attacking the section?

Do you read the passage first and then answer questions?
Do you skim the questions first?
Do you passage highlight? If so, what things do you highlight?
Do you write things down as you read?

What works for you?

Members don't see this ad.

I guess there is no telling how I will do when I take the actual MCAT, but verbal has been my real strength when taking the AAMC practice exams. I've been scoring consistent 12's and 13's.

I have found a lot of the verbal study guides to be unhelpful. Kaplan advised us to "map" passages, which I found to be a huge waste of time. I never write anything down as I read. ExamKrackers talked a little bit about the types of wrong answers, but sometimes I find thinking about that messes me up (sometimes the answer really IS the "simpleton" answer, or one of two opposing choices).

I have a habit of highlighting key phrases (phrases that pertain to purpose and theme, not details), but I've noticed that when answering questions I rarely use the highlight to help me find solutions. I still highlight anyways, though. Maybe it has some sort of subconscious benefit for me I'm not sure. The one time I have found highlighting to be of specific benefit is when the author quotes or paraphrases other people or subjects with specific names. I will highlight the name so that when the MCAT asks "why did the author use a quote from X" or whatever, I can find that reference quickly in the passage if I need to. Those types of questions are common and I find it helpful to quickly look at the exact reference to refresh my understanding of it.

I know this is not new advice, but I really try to consciously think about the author's purpose when I'm reading the passages. I read the passage thoroughly all the way through the first time, and I am constantly asking myself questions like "what is the main point of this passage/section," "what position is the author taking," and "why did the author choose to use this example to make his/her point." I find that these are the types of questions the MCAT likes to ask, and if I start myself thinking along those lines when I'm reading I can get my mind on the right track earlier.

Another strategy that I've found helpful is to consciously keep myself calm and relaxed. Sometimes I encounter passages that seem extremely convoluted and difficult to understand, but I get through it by reminding myself that often complex passages are balanced out by simpler questions. The same is true for the science sections, actually. If I can avoid "giving up" while reading a passage, it always pays off by the time I get to the questions.

Sorry I can't give more specific advice. I guess I don't even really understand my own success with this section. I was a philosophy major for my undergrad so I am used to reading stuff like this and, often for lack of understanding details, I became adept at pulling out major themes so I could BS in class or papers. To be honest I wish my strength was more in science than this one -- there are two sections of those versus only one of these!!

Last edited: