• Advice You're Thankful for Contest

Now that it's getting close to Thanksgiving, we're running a contest to hear advice you've received that you're most thankful for! This can be any type of advice and the advice with the most reactions will win!

JOIN CONTEST

How do you do well on economics courses?

Fakesmile

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 10, 2008
    I'm taking a 4-credit econ course (macroeconomics) for the first time and I'm not sure if I'm on the right track. I'd like to hear (possibly from econ majors or gurus) some tips on studying economics.
    Thanks.

Van Chowder

Go big or go home.
    10+ Year Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Berkeley
    1. Pre-Medical
      Hahaha thats funny that you made this thread, I just got done studying econ for a few hours, im taking a 3 week intensive ( 3 unit class) and the professor sux, he hates what he does and I think listening to him is actually counter productive!!!!
      Whats working for me so far, is just skim your assigned reading at first,
      then read it and take notes as you read, and then review your notes when your're done.
      :)

( just to give you an example of how bad my prof is, he got 1's accross the board on Ratemyprof)

Good luck to yea!!

PremedIowa

10+ Year Member
      7+ Year Member
      May 13, 2008
      1. Medical Student
        When demand/supply goes up, price goes up.
        When demand/supply goes down, price goes down.

In all seriousness, econ is very straight-forward, especially the intro levels. Just read the book and do the problems, it will not be rocket science.

About the Ads

JediZero

Cynical Optimist
        10+ Year Member
        7+ Year Member
        Jun 29, 2007
        Las Vegas
        1. Resident [Any Field]
          Econ can seem a little confusing because their terminology isn't terribly clear, but I enjoyed it well enough as a non-major gen-ed class.

Seriously, if you're rocking your science classes like you should be doing, Econ is a breeze in comparison. Just do the work like you would for any other class and you'll be fine.

txprodigal

10+ Year Member
          Apr 26, 2008
            make sure you pay attention in class and write down anything the professor writes down (if they do write anything down)

besides that, you'll probably have a ton of graphs that you'll be working with - make sure you understand what causes shifts in the curves versus movements along the curve

be able to draw the shift if given a particular scenario

other than that, just read the book or slides ... some people try to approach it by memorizing, but i don't think that's the best approach. it's mostly logic once you build your foundation, so just focus on trying to think through different situations and understanding why it happens rather than trying to memorize all the different possibilities

Kaustikos

Antibiotics 4 Lyfe
            10+ Year Member
          • Jan 18, 2008
            Always Bespin
            1. Fellow [Any Field]
              When demand/supply goes up, price goes up.
              When demand/supply goes down, price goes down.

In all seriousness, econ is very straight-forward, especially the intro levels. Just read the book and do the problems, it will not be rocket science.
              No, it isn't. Economics is fun, interesting and requires a different train of thought than biology. I loved micro/macro economics but I didn't do so well on the AP exam. despite that, it was what interested me in business.

I would say doing problems and understanding the theories/ideas is all I can say.

About the Ads
              This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
              2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
              3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
              4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
              5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
              6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
              7. This thread is locked.