How do you explain to your young children that you are a psychiatrist?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DucktorQuack

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I make sick people feel better.

I help people who are sad, afraid, or confused.

Not young anymore--but last summer my teenaged daughter volunteered in our hospital. She was mostly in the "main" hospital, but I arranged for her to shadow our OTs for a couple of days and help with groups. We had one particularly manic woman on the service who had decided that a pair of scrub pants was appropriate head gear, and who spent the entire OT period painting on her arms and singing. LittleMissPsychDoc had only one comment for me that afternoon; "Dad--you work with crazy people!"

Not young anymore--but last summer my teenaged daughter volunteered in our hospital. She was mostly in the "main" hospital, but I arranged for her to shadow our OTs for a couple of days and help with groups. We had one particularly manic woman on the service who had decided that a pair of scrub pants was appropriate head gear, and who spent the entire OT period painting on her arms and singing. LittleMissPsychDoc had only one comment for me that afternoon; "Dad--you work with crazy people!"

I imagine that lady telling the story at home, and then her family asking,
"And nobody noticed? What is WRONG with those people?! Thank God you're not crazy"

A teacher asks the children in her classroom, "what kind of work do your parents do?"
Little Susie raises her hand and says "my father is a firefighter."
Brad raises his hand and says "my mom is a banker."
Ted raises his hand and says "my dad plays piano in a whorehouse."
The teacher is stunned. "What was that, Ted?"
"I said, my dad plays piano in a whorehouse!"
The teacher calls a parent meeting that afternoon. When the father arrives she tells him what his son has said and asks him for an explanation.
The father blushes a bit and says "I'm truly sorry M'am, I'm actually a malpractice attorney, but how do you explain something like that to your kids?"

Every time I scroll past this thread this joke pops to mind!

'Mama is the doctor for the soldiers who fight for us, and people who are sad and really scared'. They are always in the car when I am dropped off for VA clinic day.

My daughter seems to dig the white coat I wear while on call. I can't wait to retire it in 1 month!:cool::cool: