Other OT-Related Information How do you feel about a program with no anatomy/physio/kinesio?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SFcareerchangepreOT

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So Usciences doesn't have anatomy, physio, or kinesiology. They do have a "movement" class which I guess is topics in all of those. I was told that enough of the anatomy etc are worked into the rest of the curriculum that it all gets covered and enforced, but I'm skeptical.

Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Is the program accredited? What's their pass rate for the NBCOT exam? Likely if they are accredited by AOTA, and have a high pass rate for the exam, their curriculum is at the very least satisfactory. Maybe some students or alumni of the program could give you a better answer. I personally would feel a little iffy about it, but I don't know anything about the program and the courses/materials they cover.

Personally, it's a bit worrisome to me since anatomy, physiology, and kineosology are large aspects of the career. It would be tough if professors expect the students entering the program to automatically recall everything learned from AP 1 & 2.

Members don't see this ad :)
Although those are the foundations of the career, if the program is accredited it meets all the requirements of a successful education for the program so I'm sure your experience wouldn't be lacking. You would have to definitely learn it in the movement course which I'm assuming is almost like kinesiology. In that case, you'll learn a ton

my school had Anatomy, physio and biomechanics lab w/ cadaver. All of them were pretty intense.

All seemed to apply to OT besides Physio where I remember only 20% of it and does not seem relevant.

If you've taken a cadaver lab before, then it may be ok, but if not, you are missing out. I had a liberal arts degree before ot school, so I was lacking in a lot of hard science background besides the subpar experience I got getting my pre-reqs at a community college. Cadaver lab in my anatomy/physiology class in ot school is honestly the coolest thing I've done as a student. Whenever we talk about functional deficits, I can still see specific muscles and nerves in my mind, which actually really helps me remember their location and function. As others have commented, if the program is accredited, you must be getting enough education to pass the nbcot. However, I think it's definitely a loss to the student to not have such a hands-on learning experience. As for kines, I'm really surprised that's not offered. The principles must be incorporated into the program somehow. Kines has probably been one of my most useful classes for my adults fieldwork placement (inpatient rehab).

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I mostly agree with everything in this thread. I feel that one of the strongest foundations in OT school is having the knowledge and understanding of the human body. Most of the other courses throughout your program are going to use what's learned in A&P and apply it in a clinical way. I also, do agree that if the program is accredited, they are certainly meeting ACOTE's standards and the coursework should be sufficient. I think if this is a school you are considering, you should inquire more about how extensively A&P is interwoven throughout the curriculum and reflect on how much background you personally have in A&P. I personally have taken gross anatomy THREE times, it's been an incredible experience each time, however is very difficult and dense to get through, but once you do it opens up a whole new world to understanding diagnosis & diseases in a clinical way.

In regards to the movement course, this is one of the most hands-on courses I've ever taken. In my program we take movement & gross in the same semester which is really great. But I cannot imagine how ONE (3-5 credit) movement course will give you enough hard info in anatomy to move forward. I hope this helps, good luck with your decisions!

Reactions: 1 user
So Usciences doesn't have anatomy, physio, or kinesiology. They do have a "movement" class which I guess is topics in all of those. I was told that enough of the anatomy etc are worked into the rest of the curriculum that it all gets covered and enforced, but I'm skeptical.

Any thoughts?

This is how my program was. The extent to which you must know anatomy is dependent on your practice setting, so you'll get enough basics to get by and pass the nbcot exam, which didn't have a lot of anatomy questions anyway as I recall. OT is a very broad field, so don't let a lack of anatomy or kinesiology courses deter you from entering a program.