How Do You Feel About Older Students as Classmates?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jaypea65

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since I am over 40 years old, I was wondering how any younger students would feel about having an old man as a classmate. Also, Do you think that eighteen years of employment in health care carries any weight with admission committees? I worked as a phlebotomist and medical technologist during that time period.

Members don't see this ad.

Since I am over 40 years old, I was wondering how any younger students would feel about having an old man as a classmate. Also, Do you think that eighteen years of employment in health care carries any weight with admission committees? I worked as a phlebotomist and medical technologist during that time period.

i dont think age plays that big of a difference. One of my best friends in undergraduate is 49. HOwever, you just have to be open to everyone and try to fit in as a student. Everyone will be busy with school, but participating with classmates is important.

I don't think your age is really an issue. Most people in dental school are in their mid-late twenties anyway. I'm not sure how much weight your health care experience carries. I was a medical technologist for over a year while I was applying and nobody seemed to care...lol.

Members don't see this ad :)

to be honest. I would find it pretty wierd. That would make you almost my dad's age. I would assume your values would be pretty different than mine, as well as a lot of our interests. For these reasons it would be hard for us to become friends.

At the same time I think it's really cool that you are going back to school and I would try hard to get to know you. Because I'm sure there's something I could learn from you.

I think ADCOMs of SOME schools view older applicants in a very positive way. They have experience, generally know what they want out of life and are mature. The problem is that unless you had terrific undergrad stats and DAT scores, they are taking a gamble on you. VCU has a program (D.5 -- 5 yr program to your DDS if you get at least a B in each course your first year) that is competitive, but this past year a 40+ yr old was accepted to it and will be entering his D-1 year this fall.

I think it is admirable to go back after you are already set in a career, with some medical related experience. I don't think it is weird at all. You may feel a BIT out of place because there will be a lot of people who aren't married, don't have families etc (common ground issues) but from what I have seen, people in my class don't treat the 3 - 36yr olds much different from anyone else. Congrats on making the decision and good luck.

Well, I've never met anyone over 40 that would post on forums like this, so you must be a pretty cool 40+ year-old!

You might make friends much more easily than you think.

i'm 20 i love making friends wit older ppl. they give the best advice about life and how to get grls. hahaha they are open and down to talk about anything. one 38 yr old lady even talk about her sex life wit me. i'm applying next year and cant wait to meet some mature friends.

as a 30-something myself, I would relish the idea of not being the old man in the class ;)

Honestly, I think anyone who is mature enough shouldn't have any sort of issue with an older/middle aged person in the class.

Married people usually don't think about getting wasted after an exam.

Taking summer classes right now, and there are a few older people in some of my classes (30+).
I can honestly say I'd admire your want to get back into the "Game" so to speak. Takes a lot (especially since I see people using the reason of being "too old" to not go back to school).
Don't worry about it too much, you're not the only one. :D

as a 30-something myself, I would relish the idea of not being the old man in the class ;)

Honestly, I think anyone who is mature enough shouldn't have any sort of issue with an older/middle aged person in the class.

Word. Between the two of us and the rest of the kids there, the average age for our interview day at Midwestern must have been 29 or so.

The only school that mentioned my age as a negative was Meharry. I spoke with someone on their admissions committee, and he told me flat-out that several others on the committee were harder on older students. I elected not to apply.

Thank you for your positive comments. I hope to be seeing some of you as a D1. Generally, I make friends easily, and I enjoy giving advice to younger students. And yes, I enjoy a good drink after an exam!

I wouldn't worry about being old. As long as you can go out drinking once in awhile to chill with your new classmates, then you'll be fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for your positive comments. I hope to be seeing some of you as a D1. Generally, I make friends easily, and I enjoy giving advice to younger students. And yes, I enjoy a good drink after an exam!

See, that bolded letter right there is the problem. Enjoying just a good drink after an exam is way too 'mature'. You need to 'enjoy' (e.g. slam back) enough drinks to not be able to walk back to your apartment and have to have the poor DD take you home and walk you inside and make sure you're alive (and no, just because you're 40 you can't be the DD all the time).

:D

I find old people sexy......:smuggrin:

to be honest. I would find it pretty wierd. That would make you almost my dad's age. I would assume your values would be pretty different than mine, as well as a lot of our interests. For these reasons it would be hard for us to become friends.

At the same time I think it's really cool that you are going back to school and I would try hard to get to know you. Because I'm sure there's something I could learn from you.

I find it pretty weird that you find it weird to be in class with a 40 year old.

I also wonder why his values would be different from yours. You're both pursuing the same goal and, presumably, value health care. What sort of values are you talking about, other than being concerned with stuff like family and the future rather than self and the now?

I will turn 40 10 days before our D1 orientation. It's nice to know I'm not the only "old fart" out there. Personally, I don't think my age has been a hinderance in either my undergrad academic setting or in making friends with my classmates.

As to your question about the admission committees, it's hard to tell how much it will help but I don't think it can hurt you. In fact, your choice of profession shows you care about others and want to make a difference. Just be prepared to answer interview questions addressing why you chose to make a career change and why you are doing it at this stage in your life. Every interview I had had some variation on this theme. Good luck!

Ya know, my biology lab was literally 80% post-baccs, and one guy in there was in his mid 40's I think. Well all the professors thought it was great to have someone in class who was 'older'. I guess they thought they had a lot to offer experience and wisdom wise. Well, in my opinion, I thought this guy was completely full of himself and I got the feeling that he looked down upon everyone else for being younger. I dunno, just something about him. Like never really acknowleging anyone outside of class.

Anyhow, as long as you're not like this guy and are humble about yourself, you should fit in well. I personally would try and get to know the 'older' student.

I thought this guy was completely full of himself and I got the feeling that he looked down upon everyone else for being younger. I dunno, just something about him. Like never really acknowleging anyone outside of class.

I think it was his personality, not his age because I know someone with the same personality but in his 20s.