Goro

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Verified Expert
Jun 11, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
  1. Non-Student
    Hey everyone,
    So I have volunteered at a hospital near my home for over a year now and I really like it there. Everyone at the hospital is friendly (granted people have bad days), supports each other, and it just feels like a truly wonderful community to be a part of. Because of all of the aforementioned things, I really wanted to engage more in the hospital life and be as active as I possibly could. So, I have a few things going on there right now;
    -I shadow different doctors at the hospital
    -I will participate in their pre-med "summer" program
    -I've started to do hospice in the hospital's hospice program.
    -Continued volunteering

Like I said before, I love the place and I try to be involved in other things as well, like potluck, volunteer's dinner, Valentine's Day celebrations etc. I also volunteer to help at random things like big events, whenever my student schedule allows that.

After talking to a fellow premed, I was told that it doesn't look good to have all of these experiences done at the same hospital. She said I should branch out more and be involved in multiple hospitals or clinics. Obviously, I'm not going to cancel my shadowing and hospice etc, but I still want to hear what is your opinion on this? I just genuinely love the hospital community, where everyone from janitors to volunteers to doctors are being treated with the same smiling faces and made feel good&welcome, so I never even though of this being an issue.

Now that I think of this, I think it just shows "loyalty" and commitment to my community. What about you? Do you think my fellow pre-med is right or do you think it shows commitment to my hospital's community? Or, do you think I'm just getting a little too neurotic by even asking this question haha!?:laugh:
    I'd love to hear the opinions of the respected adcoms and others working closely with lots of premeds!

Thank you once again for your help!
    @Goro @gyngyn @LizzyM @HomeSkool
    You were advised by literally the most ignorant pre-med in the history of the Universe.

Reactions: 7 users

DV-T

5+ Year Member
    Nov 11, 2015
    1. Medical Student
      Real life applicant with success this cycle here who did all my clinical experience(s) with one hospital...

ECs ----> Quality of experiences at one hospital over quantity of experiences a various medical facilities...

Reactions: 2 users
      About the Ads
      This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
      2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
      3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
      4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
      5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
      6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
      7. This thread is locked.