How do you feel about.......

gunner1

7+ Year Member
Sep 6, 2012
    People that ask alot of questions in class. I mean its the same person asking questions over and over again. Almost as though hes formulating a question every second during the lecture.

Is he arrogant? Intellectual? Deeply interested? etc.

MedPR

Membership Revoked
    Removed
    Dec 1, 2011
    1. Pre-Podiatry
      People that ask alot of questions in class. I mean its the same person asking questions over and over again. Almost as though hes formulating a question every second during the lecture.

Username relevant

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile

911 Turbo

middle schooler aspiring doctor
      Removed
      7+ Year Member
      Jul 24, 2010
      mars
      1. Medical Student

jackass gunner premeds

or the typical SDNer, take your pick

(notsrs)

(semisrs)

About the Ads
        About the Ads

phikapdoctor

7+ Year Member
        Aug 25, 2012
        1. Pre-Medical
          Before finals I raise my hand and ask, " so if we have a 99 percent in your class, do we only have to get a 50 on the final to get an A?"

Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile app please excuse punctuation and spelling

MedPR

Membership Revoked
          Removed
          Dec 1, 2011
          1. Pre-Podiatry
            Before finals I raise my hand and ask, " so if we have a 99 percent in your class, do we only have to get a 50 on the final to get an A?"

Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile app please excuse punctuation and spelling

I have a 102% in a class and need a 75% on the final to get an A (90%)

La Presse

Due to the fact....
            7+ Year Member
            Mar 20, 2012
            At Caillou's House.

I guess it just kinda depends. In my health sciences class, there is a guy who does it out of jest or spite and I can usually tell because it occurs during the last 15 minutes of class, thus prolonging our stay. I rarely ask questions in class because the professor gives me a long-winded response that I do not really wanna hear. :laugh:

jshei0625

Feb 20, 2012
              1. Medical Student

There was a student in my intro to bio class that would always ask the stupidest questions. Finally, the teach got so frustrated with his questions that she said in front of him and the whole class (~100 students) to stop asking questions that have nothing to do with the lecture or biology in general. That pretty much shut him up for the rest of the semester.

Bookish

7+ Year Member
                Jul 6, 2012
                1. Pre-Medical
                  There's one like that in my bio class. He's not even premed in a class that's 90% premeds, yet he's the one who asks every question, and they usually occur about once every ten seconds. We'll just be talking about animal phyla and he'll yell out stupid stuff like, "HEY DR. ____, have you heard about this new species of lizard they found in Ecuador?" and our professor just eats it up. I literally hear his awful voice in my sleep.

The worse part is, he's friends with my suitemate. So he comes into her room all the time and yells more stupid stuff and it's like he has nothing else to do with his life but make loud proclamations that are usually wrong.

My theory is that he thinks he's really smart, and he wants us premeds to think he's smart too. The only problem with that is that anyone in my class with an AP Bio background sees right through him.

VisionaryTics

Señor Member
                  10+ Year Member
                  Jan 14, 2009
                  1. Attending Physician
                    excuss-me-professor-id-like-to-waste-everyones-time-by-trying-to-impress-you-comic.jpg

tn4596

7+ Year Member
                    Jul 23, 2011
                    1. Medical Student
                      There's one like that in my bio class. He's not even premed in a class that's 90% premeds, yet he's the one who asks every question, and they usually occur about once every ten seconds. We'll just be talking about animal phyla and he'll yell out stupid stuff like, "HEY DR. ____, have you heard about this new species of lizard they found in Ecuador?" and our professor just eats it up. I literally hear his awful voice in my sleep.

The worse part is, he's friends with my suitemate. So he comes into her room all the time and yells more stupid stuff and it's like he has nothing else to do with his life but make loud proclamations that are usually wrong.

My theory is that he thinks he's really smart, and he wants us premeds to think he's smart too. The only problem with that is that anyone in my class with an AP Bio background sees right through him.

Lawl... There is probably someone like that in every intro bio class.

About the Ads

Lollygag

I'm a girl
                      Army
                      7+ Year Member
                      Sep 25, 2012
                      Jersey
                      1. Pre-Medical
                        If its a professor that I genuinely like-- as in I can have a full conversation with them and maybe they could turn out to be a potential professor to write a LOR for me, then I'll ask questions every once in a while. Like Maybe once every other class or once every 3 classes, and I'll purposely ask something that I think A) would be helpful clarification for me or the class or B) be of some interest of the professor to talk about (but nothing off topic of course).

Asking questions shows the professor that you are paying attention, that you are focused on the material and that you have some sort of legitimate interest in what their talking about.

Asking constant useless questions all of the time is a waste of the time of other people in the class, and the professor's.

Fivo

Removed
                        May 22, 2012
                          I've noticed two types of students that do this. One's that are extremely too smart for their own good and like to read textbooks in their spare time. And then there are those that are borderline dumb, who ask questions to give off the idea they're intelligent, only to crash and burn on every exam.

To both, I say, such is life. I just sit in the back with the cool kids and make fun of them under my breath :cool:

gunner1

7+ Year Member
                          Sep 6, 2012
                            There this one guy in my class. Was a genius. But he asked so many questions to the point where the entire class chuckled. He got into med school. Tried to do the same thing but the professor told him off. Don't know if his question spree ended after that.

Jul 28, 2012
                            Illinois
                            1. Pre-Medical
                              I've noticed two types of students that do this. One's that are extremely too smart for their own good and like to read textbooks in their spare time. And then there are those that are borderline dumb, who ask questions to give off the idea they're intelligent, only to crash and burn on every exam.

To both, I say, such is life. I just sit in the back with the cool kids and make fun of them under my breath :cool:

:thumbup: Astute observations imo

MedPR

Membership Revoked
                              Removed
                              Dec 1, 2011
                              1. Pre-Podiatry

I'd genuinely like to matriculate with you.

pv515

Jun 6, 2012
                                1. Pre-Medical
                                  Depends on the size of the class. Don't ask questions in big classes, lest you waste everyone's time.

If it's a small class for your particular major (as in not a bio class, how anyone could have a question in bio class is beyond me), then ask away. Harder math classes have a lot of questions, as there can be some pretty abstract stuff going on in there.

ucsfstudents

10+ Year Member
                                  7+ Year Member
                                  Apr 6, 2009
                                  1. Medical Student
                                    The extroverts in class will feel a tendency to express their questions out loud. Usually, they mean no harm by it. It's just another way of learning the material. Some people might find this annoying, but don't be too quick to judge.

MedPR

Membership Revoked
                                    Removed
                                    Dec 1, 2011
                                    1. Pre-Podiatry
                                      Depends on the size of the class. Don't ask questions in big classes, lest you waste everyone's time.

If it's a small class for your particular major (as in not a bio class, how anyone could have a question in bio class is beyond me), then ask away. Harder math classes have a lot of questions, as there can be some pretty abstract stuff going on in there.
                                      24980488.jpg

Member 331305

Jun 12, 2012
                                      1. Medical Student
                                        I do between 70-100% of my learning from lectures (at least for undergrad). Consequently, I often asked questions to clarify concepts I did not understand. I'd ask questions like, "Could you please explain how you got from equation 9 to equation 10 of the derivation?" or "What effect does the "fully developed flow" assumption have on the equation?". I never asked convoluted/hypothetical/knit-picky questions.

If I could pinpoint the exact detail that I didn't understand during lecture, then I would ask the prof for a clarification. If it was a large intro class or if I was so lost and confused that the whole lecture seemed like a mind****, then I'd wait and talk to the prof during office hours. I had no shame. I probably sounded like a *******, but whatevs.

typicalindian

5+ Year Member
                                        7+ Year Member
                                        Dec 25, 2010
                                        1. Medical Student
                                          If it's for clarification then that's no issue, but when that one jackass has to ask completely random questions which only slightly pertain to what we are learning, it's definitely one of the most annoying things to happen in class. These students should go to the professor after class, go to his office hours, or send him an email if they really need to have that irrelevant question answered, rather than waste everyone's time for something that won't be on the test and no one probably cares about.

Eon

Shine Bright
                                          5+ Year Member
                                          Dec 4, 2012
                                          1. Pre-Medical
                                            These students should go to the professor after class, go to his office hours, or send him an email if they really need to have that irrelevant question answered, rather than waste everyone's time for something that won't be on the test and no one probably cares about.

This is like the epitome of all my classes. There's 1 person in every single one of my classes that asks hypothetical **** that doesn't pertain to anything we're learning and just confuses the hell out of me.
                                            LIKE ASK DURING OFFICE HOURS, NOT LECTURE TIME..... :mad::mad::mad:

/rant

Yorick

a fellow of infinite jest
                                            7+ Year Member
                                            Nov 19, 2012
                                            1. Medical Student
                                              An upgrade to this are students who do this during exams. I've seen generally the same students ask many questions to the TA's and professors during exams and even ask if what they're doing is correct or not.

sliceofbread136

10+ Year Member
                                              Nov 5, 2011

Yes what a fool, thinking he can possibly impress the great premeds. But I guess we should cut him some slack, there is no way he could have possibly known you would have such a thorough background in biology.

About the Ads
                                                This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
                                                2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                                                3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                                                4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
                                                5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
                                                6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                                                7. This thread is locked.