How do you find a psychologist to supervise you post-doctorally?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

edieb

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have recently taken a full time job working with children but want to see adult patients in the evening, just so I keep my therapy skills. Does anybody know how to find psychologists willing to supervise an unlicensed post-doc? How much money do they get from my patients?

Members don't see this ad.

I have recently taken a full time job working with children but want to see adult patients in the evening, just so I keep my therapy skills. Does anybody know how to find psychologists willing to supervise an unlicensed post-doc? How much money do they get from my patients?

I'm also interested to learn more about this.:D

Perhaps your state Board has a list of approved supervisors? Some do I know...

Members don't see this ad :)
Perhaps your state Board has a list of approved supervisors? Some do I know...

At least in California, anyone who is a licensed psychologist can supervise you. If it's not in a formal postdoc or an exempt setting, you register as their psychological assistant.

Does anyone know what the "going rate" is? How much of the client fee does the unlicensed supervisee typically keep as payment? I thought I heard that $25 is typical in the NYC area.:confused:

You also need to check your state's psychology practice act to make sure you are allowed to pay for postdoctoral supervision. Any licensed psychologist is typically eligible to supervise you, but some states consider a postdoc paying a supervisor for supervision for licensure a conflict of interest and do not allow the practice.

Does anyone know what the "going rate" is? How much of the client fee does the unlicensed supervisee typically keep as payment? I thought I heard that $25 is typical in the NYC area.:confused:

I don't know, but I interviewed with a woman who owns a *thriving* practice to be her psych assistant and she told me she pays her psych assistants a monthly stipend of $500! This is a woman whose business is easily grossing upwards of $400,000 a year. (Obviously, I turned it down for a postdoc that paid a living wage).

why would they work for that scant amount of money instead of getting a job somewhere else?

why would they work for that scant amount of money instead of getting a job somewhere else?

IDK, unless things are so bad out there that grads will do almost anything to get their hours towards licensure?

$25/hr x 25 client hrs/wk = 625/wk

625 x 4 = 2,500/mo

This may not be terrific, but it's a living wage (roughly 25-28k/yr). Of course, getting that many steady client hrs per week is another matter -- not to mention that it costs me over 20k/yr for health insurance for my family of 5. :( There goes my entire paycheck.:rolleyes:

There's got to be a better way...:(...!