How do you find out which schools are "non-trad-friendly"?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MsAnesthesia

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Someone responded to me earlier using that term, and I was wondering what schools are known for that more so than others. Is there somewhere that a list like that exists, or could you just name some that come to mind?

Thank you! :p

Members don't see this ad.

very tough to say. all schools are nontrad friendly by and large, if there are slight variations from school to school they're impossible to quantify w/ any accuracy.

You could check the MSAR and look at average ages. Anything that has an average age ~22 is probably non-trad friendly.

In the end though, don't bother worrying about where to apply based on whether a school is non-trad friendly. Just apply where you want to get in. It's that simple.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with the above posters. It has been popular in the past few years to admit non trad students. But Albany, Case, and Drexel come to mind as schools which were doing it before it was popular. Pitt loves non trad students too.

OHSU is blatantly non-trad friendly. I think their avg. entering age is like 26. Sucks for me, since I'm 22.

I don't know about an official list, but schools I had good/fast responses from as an older student are:

Jefferson
Drexel
Temple
GW

Pretty much all schools will be non-trad friendly IF you are a competitive applicant for that school. I am very non-trad and did not receive bad vibes from any school...

U of Washington, Dartmouth (very friendly and actively seeking varied backgrounds), McMaster in Ontario is probably the most nontrad friendly in Canada.