How do you find rural EM positions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pokedoc

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Currently only a 4th year but still don't quite understand how this works. For a while now in my free time I'll occasionally look at different rural hospitals across a few states that I would like to end up in post residency. You always hear how rural locations need doctors bad, but I have yet to see a job posting in need of an EM physician in these areas. Sure I'm looking at Montana, Idaho, Washington, Wyoming, etc. so some of these spots are desirable for the outdoorsy types, but I'm looking at areas with populations ranging from 5,000 to a max of 20-30,000 where I would still expect some kind of need. Do you just cold call these locations and express interest and the conversation starts from there even if there isn't a listing? Honestly how you go about getting a job as an attending in general is still a mystery to me since there are so many different hospitals without a single easy location to see job listings.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Currently only a 4th year but still don't quite understand how this works. For a while now in my free time I'll occasionally look at different rural hospitals across a few states that I would like to end up in post residency. You always hear how rural locations need doctors bad, but I have yet to see a job posting in need of an EM physician in these areas. Sure I'm looking at Montana, Idaho, Washington, Wyoming, etc. so some of these spots are desirable for the outdoorsy types, but I'm looking at areas with populations ranging from 5,000 to a max of 20-30,000 where I would still expect some kind of need. Do you just cold call these locations and express interest and the conversation starts from there even if there isn't a listing? Honestly how you go about getting a job as an attending in general is still a mystery to me since there are so many different hospitals without a single easy location to see job listings.

If you have loans, I would strongly advise against looking for jobs in these "outdoorsy" aka "desirable" locations. The sweet spot is to find a job in a low cost of living, less-desirable-but-not-completely-undesirable location with a major airport nearby, preferable offering direct flights to your "outdoorsy" areas. You are probably looking near ski resorts and national parks and if so, you aren't going to find any easily obtainable jobs near there. Even if you do, they won't be willing to pay you very much.

To answer your question...yes, you can cold call if you have your eye on a specific hospital but can't figure out who staffs it. Just call the department and ask or find the email/contact for the hospital recruiter and they can usually tell you. You can many times even find the medical director's contact information on the hospital website.

Search the usual EM job sites.. Practicelink, CareerMD, Edphysician, etc.. Search the major CMG job listings, etc.. There are plenty of rural community ED jobs out there if that's truly what you want.

If you have loans, I would strongly advise against looking for jobs in these "outdoorsy" aka "desirable" locations. The sweet spot is to find a job in a low cost of living, less-desirable-but-not-completely-undesirable location with a major airport nearby, preferable offering direct flights to your "outdoorsy" areas. You are probably looking near ski resorts and national parks and if so, you aren't going to find any easily obtainable jobs near there. Even if you do, they won't be willing to pay you very much.

To answer your question...yes, you can cold call if you have your eye on a specific hospital but can't figure out who staffs it. Just call the department and ask or find the email/contact for the hospital recruiter and they can usually tell you. You can many times even find the medical director's contact information on the hospital website.

Search the usual EM job sites.. Practicelink, CareerMD, Edphysician, etc.. Search the major CMG job listings, etc.. There are plenty of rural community ED jobs out there if that's truly what you want.

Actually I was avoiding the areas near national parks and ski resorts for that exact reason. The places that I was looking would be considered outdoorsy just because they are more in the northern aspect of those states which are more mountainous/forested. Thanks for the advice! I'll definitely keep that in mind. Would you recommend contacting locations starting 2nd year of residency?

Members don't see this ad :)
Rural in populous states is different from rural in states that are basically entirely rural. Rural is less competitive when it's a less desirable option in a state with many other options, not true when it's one of the few options in the whole state.

A
Rural in populous states is different from rural in states that are basically entirely rural. Rural is less competitive when it's a less desirable option in a state with many other options, not true when it's one of the few options in the whole state.

Ah gotcha makes sense

So here’s the deal with rural hospitals.

The availability of jobs is essentially directly related to the desirability of the location. For places like the west coast it’s always been harder to find jobs than places like the midwest because most docs prefer the west coast. That’s why you’ll find tons of jobs in rural Kansas but only a few jobs in rural Washington.

Now keeping that in mind you can still find jobs out west but you’ll have to look at less desirable locations that aren’t located next to any major ski resorts. For example there are usually jobs in Wyoming but they’re almost all located out in the Great Plains far from the Tetons and Jackson Hole resort.

As far as the jobs themselves you can basically google ED physician jobs in the state of choice and you’ll get the results from all the job posting websites. If that doesn’t work just look up the hospital’s website and find the contact information for the physician recruiters.

Reactions: 1 users
You’re way too early for the job hunting process. I know it’s easy to want to keep looking ahead, but focus on residency and learning to become a great EP at this point in your journey. You may change your mind on what you want to do with your career in the next 3-4 years. Starting off in a lower volume job early on in your career usually isn’t advisable as it will lead to skill atrophy. You’ll have opportunities in those types of non-popular rural environments if you wish when the time comes though. Most jobs aren’t listed. Obtaining them typically calls cold calling and doing a little leg work.

Huh? he's a 4th year resident? or 4th year medical student.
If a resident he's done, he's allowed to look for jobs.

So here’s the deal with rural hospitals.

The availability of jobs is essentially directly related to the desirability of the location. For places like the west coast it’s always been harder to find jobs than places like the midwest because most docs prefer the west coast. That’s why you’ll find tons of jobs in rural Kansas but only a few jobs in rural Washington.

Now keeping that in mind you can still find jobs out west but you’ll have to look at less desirable locations that aren’t located next to any major ski resorts. For example there are usually jobs in Wyoming but they’re almost all located out in the Great Plains far from the Tetons and Jackson Hole resort.

As far as the jobs themselves you can basically google ED physician jobs in the state of choice and you’ll get the results from all the job posting websites. If that doesn’t work just look up the hospital’s website and find the contact information for the physician recruiters.
Well, look at Laramie, for example. Way back in the 1800s, Cheyenne got the state capital, and Laramie got the state university. What is the population of Laramie? When school is in session, 19000. School's out? 7000. Even the city is rural (friend that lived in a suburb was just like any other in the US - except it was a dirt road. I kid you not). I don't even know (although doubt) if there is a hospital between Laramie and Casper.

doesn't
have a lot of jobs?

I look at it occasionally.

Huh? he's a 4th year resident? or 4th year medical student.
If a resident he's done, he's allowed to look for jobs.
OP asked in a different post if they should be contacting people during 2nd year of residency. OP is a med student. This is way too early to be worried about this crap.

Well, my alma mater is in the process of buying and staffing every hospital in that rural state, so within a year or two residents will have "one stop shopping" for jobs when they graduate.

Like the Wendy's commercial from the 80's about a Soviet fashion show.

OP asked in a different post if they should be contacting people during 2nd year of residency. OP is a med student. This is way too early to be worried about this crap.

Not worried at all I was just curious so thought I would ask. Thought it would be a good idea to ask people on this forum who have obviously gone through the process since I've heard of multiple ways to go about obtaining jobs (word of mouth, recruiter, job sites, etc.), but wasn't sure if there was one better way for rural sites. Looking at areas I would like to end up in is something I do sometimes when I'm bored and think about the future.

You’re way too early for the job hunting process. I know it’s easy to want to keep looking ahead, but focus on residency and learning to become a great EP at this point in your journey. You may change your mind on what you want to do with your career in the next 3-4 years. Starting off in a lower volume job early on in your career usually isn’t advisable as it will lead to skill atrophy. You’ll have opportunities in those types of non-popular rural environments if you wish when the time comes though. Most jobs aren’t listed. Obtaining them typically calls cold calling and doing a little leg work.

Yeah I'm definitely not job hunting, I was just curious about how it all works and the timeline. Thanks for the advice I'll keep it in mind when looking for my first job down the line.

Reactions: 1 user
Well, my alma mater is in the process of buying and staffing every hospital in that rural state, so within a year or two residents will have "one stop shopping" for jobs when they graduate.

Like the Wendy's commercial from the 80's about a Soviet fashion show.

That’s an awesome commercial. I love funny commercials.

You can google Critical Access Hospitals in each state, and then just start calling/emailing them directly.