• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

UAmeddan

10+ Year Member
May 7, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
I was in a similar situation. I can only relay advice from my experience.

1. See if there is anyone famous in ophthalmology in your city/nearby. If you aren't close to a big program, the big-wigs may be more removed from academics now, but they may be happy to work with you. You can shadow them, do research, get to know them. I got 2 big-wig letters this way.

2. In my opinion, if you're going to go somewhere for just the purpose of getting a letter from one person, plan carefully. If that person is the program chairman/woman, it may be okay to do the regular rotation and let them know early that you are hoping for a letter. If that person is just on faculty...you may end up working with him/her for just one afternoon. So, if that's the case, I would recommend getting in touch with the doc and setting up an independent rotation. My other 2 LORs came from this strategy, and I think they had a lot more to say about me than someone who only worked with me for a day or so. Also, research rotations can bring you very close to attendings, and I loved the research rotation I did.

If you're going to do an away rotation, try to get a really solid understand about the structure of the away before you go. The aways can vary greatly.

Hope this helps

About the Ads

kwel

Sep 3, 2012
Midwest
Status (Visible)
what defines a "big-wig"? Does this refer to someone who is Director of the Ophtho dept or some other high-up position at a big academic center? Or is it someone who is "well-known" in the world of ophthalmology, in which case how can a medical student tell if someone is "well-known" (since we obviously extremely immersed in the field just yet)?

breezethrusd

5+ Year Member
Oct 21, 2010
Status (Visible)
what defines a "big-wig"? Does this refer to someone who is Director of the Ophtho dept or some other high-up position at a big academic center? Or is it someone who is "well-known" in the world of ophthalmology, in which case how can a medical student tell if someone is "well-known" (since we obviously extremely immersed in the field just yet)?

Ask them if they're a big wig. Thats how I found out ;)

About the Ads
This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.