applicant

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 19, 2001
Ithaca
Visit site
Status
How do you get clinical experiences?

I tried to ask internal medicine doctor (who is in private practice and whom I visited today about my condition) about shadowing him,
but it coulnd't just come out as I was worried he might find it unpleasant
or even though he said 'yes' it could be a little trouble to him since his patients might find it unpleasant...for this kind of reasons.

Also, I live in New Jersey, so if anyone knows any good opportunities,
please let me know.

chintu

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 6, 2002
Visit site
Status
Ask him...what's the worst that could happen he says no? Find another doc to shadow. Finding clinical experience is difficult as a premed since not many will trust you to be around patients given the lack of knowledge/skills, you have to take the initiative and ask or apply to various things and see if you find something interesting. Once you get to shadow you can act professional and nice around patients and no one's going to have any problem. My physician taught me somethings during shadow and was even willing to take me on his hospital weekend rounds. Just act like you r willing to learn and realize that you know nothing even if you might and be professional and you should be fine.

R.P. McMurphy

10+ Year Member
Apr 23, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
applicant said:
How do you get clinical experiences?

I tried to ask internal medicine doctor (who is in private practice and whom I visited today about my condition) about shadowing him,
but it coulnd't just come out as I was worried he might find it unpleasant
or even though he said 'yes' it could be a little trouble to him since his patients might find it unpleasant...for this kind of reasons.

Also, I live in New Jersey, so if anyone knows any good opportunities,
please let me know.
You could volunteer at a hospital

braluk

SDN Surgerynator
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 30, 2006
The Big Easy
Status
Medical Student
i dont know about you, but if i were a patient id certainly feel a little more "uncomfortable" if there was another presence in a private practice, versus a hospital, where public people traffic is a common thing. private practices are exactly that, private. Take a look into a hospital and eitehr call or email a doctor of your choice and kindly, but professionally request if you would be able to volunteer your time in shadowing him. I volunteered as an unpaid intern during the beginning of my undergraduate career, and pulled out two publications under him, went on helicopters with him for heart harvesting, and into the OR for transplants. Its all a matter of making it explicitly clear what type of experience you want, and how long you will be doing it for.