SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

How do you get into trauma surgery

Discussion in 'Clinical Rotations' started by Ems, May 21, 2001.

  1. Ems

    Ems Junior Member

    May 20, 2001
    Can anyone explain what steps you should take to become a trauma surgeon?
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. kundun

    kundun Senior Member 10+ Year Member

    Jan 9, 1999
    step 1: get into an ACGME or AOA approved medical school
    step 2: graduate in good standing and pass all 3 steps of the COMLEX or USMLE
    step 3: match into a AOA or ACGME general surgery residency
    step 4: finish your residency in good standing and become BE or BC in general surgery
    step 5: apply for a fellowship in trauma surgery...what, they're usually 1-2 years in duration right??

    did I leave anything out, anybody?
  4. SocialistMD

    SocialistMD Resident Objectivist 10+ Year Member

    Jan 29, 2001
    Pretty much sums it up. Ems, do I know you?
  5. Winged Scapula

    Winged Scapula Cougariffic! Staff Member Administrator Physician Faculty Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 15+ Year Member

    Apr 9, 2000
    hSDN Member
    I'll move this over to the Rotations and Residencies Forum for you. :)
  6. tonem

    tonem Senior Member 10+ Year Member

    Sep 13, 1999
    The alternative to a fellowship in Trauma is a fellowship in Critical Care Medicine (after completing your Gen Surg. Residency of course)...after either one you will be an official Trauma Surgeon.
  7. droliver

    droliver Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

    May 1, 2001
    FYI: to be a "trauma" surgeon all you have to do is work somewhere that you take trauma call. There is no board-certification in trauma as such. There are fellowships in trauma/critical care where you are really there to do more research for a planned academic surgery career rather than learn how to operate as such. To posistion yourself for a two year trauma-critical care fellowship is not terribly hard as they are not the most competative of fellowships except at a few specific places. If you are interested you should plan on doing your general surgery in a high volume urban level I trauma center @ a University program. You do not neccesarily have to be AOA in med school or train @ one of the biggest academic "name" medical centers (many of them are in fact not the best or most experienced trauma centers due to suburban locations).

    hope this helps

Share This Page