How do you get LOR from professors?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

USFpremed21

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay... here's my situation. I am a transfer student and all of my science classes(Orgo, Physics, cell bio) are huge. Most of my professors tell us to resort to the TAs if we have questions. How do I go about asking these professors for LOR? I mean, it is likely that I will get a decent grade(A, A-, B+) in some of these classes but is that enough of an excuse to ask for LOR? Do science professors get requests for LORs all the time from pre med students? I've been told that I should just start going to their office hours and hand in my resume and ask them to write me a LOR. I dunno. How did you guys go about getting LORs from professors(school faculuty)?

Members don't see this ad.

Here's what I did.

#1 I always sit in the front. I believe that front students do better than back students. Anyway, sitting in front means that your teacher will recognize your face.
#2: Know your shiitt
#3: Answer questions when the teacher asks them (see #2).
#4: If you don't understand a part of the lecture, raise your hand and ask. Asking means you're paying attention.
#5: Be friendly. Don't be friendly for an LOR. Be friendly because life is better that way.
#6: Be friendly with your teacher. Talk at their office, before/after lecture, during lab, etc. Most students don't bother, so you won't have to compete for attention. If this is difficult, start with a few questions, then chat about other stuff.
#7: Relax and don't censor your conversation. Perhaps this is somewhat risky, but you want the teacher to know you, not you minus everything you think you shouldn't say. If you have a negative attitude, change it now. Life WILL catch up to you.
#8: If you're having trouble with #6, then be sure to visit at their office at least a few times per semester.

If you've done the above, then the teacher will accept your request for an LOR.

I'm a nontraditional and got an LOR from a faculty member from 10 years ago. I visited him a few times recently. I brought my resume and we discussed what I'd been doing. Later on, I gave him a copy of my transcript so he could remember my A's. I gave him my AMCAS essay also, so he'd have info to work with. I asked him if there was anything else I could provide, and he said he had enough info. Most of all, I had visited and we had had friendly, casual conversations.

I hope this helps. I lost video game time to enter it.

:p :cool: :p

Members don't see this ad :)
damn thats a long but good list haha.

so this is what i did. i got close to my TAs because they were more schedule friendly than my prof.

i had great relationships with most of the head Tas of the classes i took. and since the prof has most contact with head TA if head TA can vouch for you, then the prof (tho he might have never really spent a lot of time with you) will write you a good letter if you ask in a sincere manner and give him plenty of time (several months) to write you one. introduce yourself and have a little chat if they have time. if you want to set up a personal appt to do this then do it. they are very busy people so be accomdating.

prepare a copy of your transcript, personal statement, and maybe resume if they really want it. also ask you TA to write about you so that the prof can have something to work with too.

so yeah jus some more addn info to chew on.

I just made sure to go to office hours so that my profs could see that I was taking an interest in the class and making the effort to get to know them, etc.

visit their office hours several times per week. ask excellent questions that show you've put thought into the topic. also read the literature and be familiar with the professor's area of research. finally, it also helps to get the highest grade in the class.

Highest grade in the class. Good one.

I've always asked my professors for LORs.

I hear some perform sexual favors.

I worried about this for a long time. I finally sent my resume with a cover letter that explained my desire to practice medicine. It asked them to let me meet with them if they were willing to write a letter. They were all really friendly and helpful. I would suggest that you do something similar.