How do you get on an ADCOM??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

johnM

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know how students get on the admissions committees, or give interviews? Are you selected for this by your schools? and is anyone here on one?

Members don't see this ad.

We have to put our time in 1st and 2nd years doing things like Student Host Program and as Tour Guides on interview days. This tells them you have interest. They will then ask certain people to be on the comittee, or you can ask the Dean of Admissions to be an interviewer.

They have an open application process at my school to be an active, voting member of the adcom. According to the Dean of admissions at our school, it looks good on your resume, but I don't see why residency programs would care. It's actually very time consuming to sit on the ADCOM, and it was very competetive my year, but a lot of students just volunteer to interview students and write a little feedback form. I wouldn't recommed the experience though, some of my classmates that are doing it say that it seems fun at first, but after a while all the applicants seem the same.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've recently become a member of the admissions committee at my school. I'm sure it varies from school to school- at my school, it's an open application process- we submit an application to the Dean explaining why we're interested in the position and what we feel we could contribute to the process. He is then free to select as many student members as he likes to join the committee. Student members have full voting rights, interview and rate applicants just like anyone else.

If anyone here happens to be on the ADCOM for NYMC I would like to know about how you got on it and any experiences you have had so far.

I think anyone 2nd year or higher can do it at my school if they want. You're not really part of the ADCOM--you just provide feedback on the student you interview.