How do you get to shadow someone?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Woland

Perpetual n00b
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Yes, it is a problem for me: how to get to shadow an MD?

(I did review all threads on search for "shadow" so some of the questions I had had been answered)

I am new to the state I am in, and I do not have any connections what so ever.
I do volunteer in the ER at a not-so-busy local hospital. I did get a permission to follow nurses, but MD/DOs here are not part of a hospital, so the chief nurse told me I am on my own with shadowing a doc.
We have no OHSU MS3/MS4 except for the birth centre and I have been told that being a guy I am out of luck trying to get there.

I do not have a problem working up testicular fortitude and just cold-ask a MD or two, but I am not certain as to a proper etiquette and whether or not it is going to antagonize them.
Someone blurted out that I should just ask a pediatrician that sees my kids or other docs in her practice.

Any words of wisdom or links to threads that would answer my question and I might have missed?

~Cheers

Members don't see this ad.

Doctors are very open to it and usually will be happy to have you. Sometimes can mix up their own day a little bit having a tag along. So just ask some doctors in the hospital that your volunteering in. In person will probably get you the best results so that they can see you are tolerable.

Yes, it is a problem for me: how to get to shadow an MD?

(I did review all threads on search for "shadow" so some of the questions I had had been answered)

I am new to the state I am in, and I do not have any connections what so ever.
I do volunteer in the ER at a not-so-busy local hospital. I did get a permission to follow nurses, but MD/DOs here are not part of a hospital, so the chief nurse told me I am on my own with shadowing a doc.
We have no OHSU MS3/MS4 except for the birth centre and I have been told that being a guy I am out of luck trying to get there.

I do not have a problem working up testicular fortitude and just cold-ask a MD or two, but I am not certain as to a proper etiquette and whether or not it is going to antagonize them.
Someone blurted out that I should just ask a pediatrician that sees my kids or other docs in her practice.

Any words of wisdom or links to threads that would answer my question and I might have missed?

~Cheers
Been there done that. You just have to work for it. First, look on the internet and search for any and all types of docs within a 10 mile radius or so. Second print out that page (should contain their name, address and numbers.) Get as many envelopes as you need ie. 20 or 30. Then write a nice short, to the point letter asking can you shadow and how you really respect that field:rolleyes:. Include you name, email and phone number in the letter. Type Dear Dr.(insert different doctor name) at the beginning of each letter and print as many as you need. Write their name and address on the envelope to the corrosponding letter and drop them all in your local mailbox. MAKE SURE THE LETTER YOU SEND IS TO THE DOCTOR ON THE ENVELOPE! Out of lets say 25 or so letters at least 10 or 15 will call or email you back. I did this and go all kind of calls the next day, all at the same time.:D It sounds like a lot but it pays off.

Members don't see this ad :)