How do you guys/girls feel about DO schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Deuce 007 MD

license to ill
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just curious. I told a friend of mine to apply to DO school if she doesn't get in MD. She looked at me like I had comitted heresy. Another friend of mine, who is at USC dental, told her "you don't want to be one of those qack DOs, they only go there because they couldn't get an MD, you should go dental instead." I was just curious as to how common this opinion was among pre-dent/dental students?

Members don't see this ad.

I know a couple of people who decide to go to DO school cuz they coudln't get into medical school. I don't think the DO program is widely known. I'm sure almost everybody would choose to get MD over DO. There is no pre-DO .
I guess if you dont' really wanna become a dentist, you can go to DO school. Dentistry is a great repectful career but I know A LOT of people change to dental cuz tehy can't get high score on MCAT or can't get into medical school. I just found that this guy i know had an interview at a dental school this week (he took mcat)

I find it very funny to read and hear about other people's opinions of professions. I think it is absurd that people would dare to say that a DO is a quack, and the only reason they are going is because they couldn't become an MD. The truth of the matter is, a DO has sat through all of the same classes that an MD has in his/her training. If you go to any hospital, you are likely to find DOs working in that hospital along side MDs. Furthermore, offering advice to go dental instead of osteopathic, because of some underlying pride issue is irrationale. People need to go into a career founded on something they love to do, not because they desire respect from people.
Whoever said that DOs are quacks, in my mind is a highly irrationale person, provincial-minded to say the very least. And it scares me to think that this person is going to be responsible for someone elses life.
I find it very amusing when MDs (and this may be a stereotype) underscore and often mock or disrespect other health professions, because they don't command the respect and stack up to the almighty power of an MD. And then I turn on the television and hear about malpractice suits where people sue the hell out of their doctor for the most stupid of reasons. Which leads me to this question, are you really that respected as an MD, when your own patients sue you for trivial reasons?
My advice is, who cares what people think. DOs aren't quacks, DDSs aren't quacks, MDs aren't quacks, DCs aren't quacks, NDs aren't quacks...we all perform a unique trade, and there is no reason to carry pretense with you because of the letters after your name.

I think your advice to your friend is great!
Swhit81
Creighton Class of 2007

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd rather be a dentist. Hence I'm going to dental school.

Tinker Bell-GOLDEN GATE DENTAL 007:cool:

I learned about Osteopathic medicine last year at Midwestern University, Arizona College of Osteopathic Medicine (AZCOM) when I did my Post-Bac program there.

I have classes with DOs right now at Nova (NSUCOM), I have no problems with DOs.

Swhit81, I agree with you, those are all valid, qualified professionals - except for the chiropractors. Quacks, all of 'em.

Anyway, unless you're interests in medicine lean towards surgery, I think dentistry is a poor substitute. DDS- doctor of dental surgery. In terms of job functions, dentistry is so far removed from primary care that it isn't even funny.