How do you guys live during the summer?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Vyzzle

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm jumping ahead of schedule here a bit but this upcoming academic year will be the first where I'm not working. Pretty much all my savings will be depleted as well with my additional expenses.

So the Summer of 2018 I'll be done with my M1 but also have no job and nowhere to live. Of course I will be looking for a job, but I would prefer to keep it relevant (clinical/research job). Any specific positions you guys can think of in those fields that pay well enough to live on and are only for the summer? Do medical schools offer positions like these for the summer? I assume a lot of medical students are in my position.

Of course if I can't get something in clinical/research I'll go elsewhere but I would much prefer to gain some type of applicable experience during my summer. Especially considering the fact I /really/ want to get into research.

Thank you! <3

Members don't see this ad.

I'm jumping ahead of schedule here a bit but this upcoming academic year will be the first where I'm not working. Pretty much all my savings will be depleted as well with my additional expenses.

So the Summer of 2018 I'll be done with my M1 but also have no job and nowhere to live. Of course I will be looking for a job, but I would prefer to keep it relevant (clinical/research job). Any specific positions you guys can think of in those fields that pay well enough to live on and are only for the summer? Do medical schools offer positions like these for the summer? I assume a lot of medical students are in my position.

Of course if I can't get something in clinical/research I'll go elsewhere but I would much prefer to gain some type of applicable experience during my summer. Especially considering the fact I /really/ want to get into research.

Thank you! <3
Check out the school year calendar for the school you will be attending. Most med schools do not have a summer break, at least not the 3 month summer break you are accustomed to. If you apply for loans, grants, financial aid the amount you will borrow can include your living expenses.

Reactions: 1 user
I have a short break, but my best friend is at a medical school that has paid research opportunities. She is working 40 hours a week for a $4,000 stipend. She is making enough to cover room and board. If your school doesn't have that, there are other paid research opportunities in the summer.

Members don't see this ad :)
I budgetted my expenses over M1 so that I have money to float through summer.

Reactions: 5 users
Paid research fellowship.

Reactions: 1 users
I was lucky enough to get a paid research position. Otherwise I'm not entirely sure what I would have done.

I was lucky enough to get a paid research position. Otherwise I'm not entirely sure what I would have done.

Same. Another option is to take a course through your school so that you are a student, which allows you to qualify for financial aid. Obviously a paid position is preferred, but you can talk to your school about other options too.

Hanging out with my folks, volunteering a bit and taking one short trip later on before M2

Reactions: 2 users
I budgetted my expenses over M1 so that I have money to float through summer.

Obviously the paid research gigs and whatnot are nice, but if you don't have parents or a spouse for additional income, I think this is the most common solution.

Med school summer break probably isn't quite as long as what you're used to in undergrad, either-- bad news for fun plans but good news for your bank account, I suppose. Our spring of first year ended mid-May and fall of second year started the first of August.

My school had TA positions for some of the allied health schools over the summer that paid slightly better than the research grants. This might be an option where you're at.

All great advice! I'll definitely try to work out something with the school in the research/TA area. One of those or combined should be able to get me through the summer.

Sent from my SM-G930V using SDN mobile

I wouldn't worry about it too much. I don't know anyone who needed a paid summer gig (which is most med students that I know) who wasn't able to find something, whether that be research, volunteering, etc.

Do most schools have a summer break, as in 3 months off? I thought most schools just have a few weeks off between semesters in which case your could very easily budget your loans to cover those weeks.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. I don't know anyone who needed a paid summer gig (which is most med students that I know) who wasn't able to find something, whether that be research, volunteering, etc.
Yeah I figure having medical school on my resume for jobs would definitely help

Do most schools have a summer break, as in 3 months off? I thought most schools just have a few weeks off between semesters in which case your could very easily budget your loans to cover those weeks.

Us 1st years here get a decently sized break for the Summer.

Sent from my SM-G930V using SDN mobile

I just budgeted my spring income to be able to cover the time, but our summer break is only six weeks.

Apart from paid research as folks have suggested, you can try talking to your FA office and ask for an increase in your loans to cover summer COL. Just go in prepared to explain your situation.

Yeah I figure having medical school on my resume for jobs would definitely help

I would say you'll most likely find a job through your med school, rather than having to seek one out yourself. At my school, there are several research programs for M1s that the school advertised pretty heavily, and that were meant specifically for students at my school. Most people who aren't doing research are getting paid by the school to volunteer full-time. I'm not sure if this is typical but I've never heard anyone point out that my school is exceptional in this regard.

Edit: should say, my school gives us 10 weeks for summer break.

At my school, we have 10 weeks between M1 and M2, 2 weeks between M2 and M3 (assuming you don't schedule Step 1 super late), and 1 week between M3 and M4. I think that's somewhat standard.