How do you guys organize your stuff at home?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Verum

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How do you guys organize all your stuff at home? In high school i never looked over notes older than a couple days old and at the end of the quarter everything got thrown away. I don't want to carry on that habit with me in college so i'm coming up with a system in which i should be able to look over any paper/notes/flashcards from any topic that i ever did. I am thinking of a giant shelf organized by subject, year etc

So how do you guys organize your stuff so it can be retrieved later?

Members don't see this ad.

How do you guys organize all your stuff at home? In high school i never looked over notes older than a couple days old and at the end of the quarter everything got thrown away. I don't want to carry on that habit with me in college so i'm coming up with a system in which i should be able to look over any paper/notes/flashcards from any topic that i ever did. I am thinking of a giant shelf organized by subject, year etc

So how do you guys organize your stuff so it can be retrieved later?

do you mean for the mcat? I never looked at anything after the class was over, even for the mcat

Members don't see this ad :)
I always looked down on people who did that sort of thing. It simply means you study for the test rather than retain the material.

I saved my notes from college and then wondered wtf I was ever going to use them for and threw them all away :p

I always looked down on people who did that sort of thing. It simply means you study for the test rather than retain the material.

lol, why would you look down on them? who cares why or how they study

Put loose papers in a binder to store them (but I throw things out at the end of the school year), and I take all lecture/textbook notes in spiral notebooks, so I just stack up the notebooks (but also throw them out at the end of the year). I only held onto my notes from intro bio and genchem beyond one year.

Nah, i mean for all your classes like bio, chem etc.

I took notes for each test then threw them away after the test. When studying for comprehensive finals I just read the book and focused on the stuff I highlighted the first time.

I've never been the type to go over notes more than once. Reading over my notes doesn't help me more than reading the book. Writing notes does help me though, so I either write notes multiple times or just read the book over and over.

I used to put my thousands of flash cards in ziplock gallon bags and wrote what class it was. They were the kind with the hole punch on the corner and were kept on the big metal rings separated by chapter. Then I put the notes in folders if I felt I absolutely MUST save them and stored them on my shelves. Then I woke up one day and realized my bookcase was cluttered with so much s*** that I was never going to use again, so I just threw it all away. Now I get my books very used and write my notes in the pages. That way if I want to look up something I can see my notes along with the book and don't feel guilty about it because I bought the book pretty messed up already. It ruins the resale value, but I keep them anyways or let my friends use them.

If you really honestly feel that you need to keep your notes, buy one of those large black spiral bound notebooks from the art store (watercolor portfolio, blank paper). Then copy them by hand into the notebook and keep that in the shelf after you have finished the class. Thats the easiest way to see if you're keeping the notes just to keep them, or if you sincerely feel like you will use them in the future.

Or you can be lazy and just tape them in there haha.

Or... Buy a thumb drive and take a picture of the notes and load them on there with a folder for each class.

Just throwing out ideas haha

I save all my exams (midterms, finals if i get them), papers, and projects. I don't save my notes. How I see it: You spend the whole term studying those notes. If the notes aren't in your brain by the end of the quarter, what good it is it to have them sitting in your closet collecting dust? Do you plan on going back to them? There's never time for that because there's always something new to study.

folders labled with notes (for "important" classes related to my profession or the MCAT or if I just liked the course) if I used flash cards I'd hole punch them and then put a ring on then.

I keep my textbooks, important projects, but not my notes. I don't see the need to keep my notes because they are based on the information found in the textbook. I also have a USB drive where I keep electronic articles that are important and that pertain to my career goals.