How do you guys overcome hardships?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

skyisblue

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any of you guys come from difficult backgrounds or in tough circumstances right now while applying to dental school? Care to share? If so, how do you guys overcome it?

Members don't see this ad.

99% perspiration 1% inspiration

Last semester was by far the roughest semester for me, my GPA really dropped, and I got my first D, thank goodness I hadn't used any of my forgiveness' yet, so I got to re-take the class. I had a family emergency (not going into detail), my fiance had moved thousands of miles away for school, and my mom got really sick...it was really rough, I barely had time to go to any of my classes, let alone study for exams, one of the worst semesters of my life...Now i'm on my feet again though, and i'm sure dental schools will understand one bad semester if all the rest are good, so i'm not too terribly worried about it. Just keep your head up, and think about the light at the end of the tunnel, what else can I say...

Members don't see this ad :)
I have had numerous hardships in life--many of which are reflected on my transcripts. The key is to keep on going--perseverence. I am not a steller applicant with numbers but I won't let that deter me from reaching my goals. It's all about your attitude towards the hardships you have faced..what have you learned from them, and what kind of person have they made you become. I have no doubt that I will be a great practitioner because of my experiences in life. Like they say---if something doen't kill you then it only makes you stronger. Don't ever play the victim role though. It is very disempowering to you and the listener. Be sure to mention the hardship and then move on to the positives can be seen from going through that hardship...Hope this helped.....