How do you guys study??!!!?!?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GreenEyes09

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am studying for a retake (hopefully January) and I just can't force myself to sit down and study! I am using TBR for everything with the exception of TPR for Bio. I can sit and study for 1.5 hours while taking notes and then I call it a day. I absolutely KNOW that this is unacceptable but I can't force myself to sit back down and concentrate. I have never ever had this issue in college and now that I've graduated, it seems I cant buckle down. :eek::confused::scared:

So..... how do you guys study throughout the day??

Sample schedules would be appreciated......

I just don't know what to do!

Members don't see this ad.

Are you sure you want to go through with medical school? Sometimes not being able to study is a sign that someone has reservations about applying. It could also be that you're burned out from college and need to go out and about.

I am 100% sure about medical school... the reservations that you mention are in reality me being apprehensive since I am a re-taker and do not want to hit rock bottom again. Sounds pathetic, but I guess you could say I'm scared.

The only thing that is preventing me from medical school is the MCAT and I feel like that's unacceptable on my part! +pissed+

Have you went through why you did badly? If you're going in blind, that hurts your motivation because you don't know what to fix. Not to mention it would hurt your score if you repeat the same mistake again.

Members don't see this ad :)
I focused a lot of my time on content review and didn't complete as many practice passages and questions as I should have.

I took AAMC practice tests.... however my scores were never good enough because I didn't feel comfortable with the material yet.

Ironically, my verbal was a 9 and what killed me was PS and BS =[

I believe I need to work on content review, but even MORE on practice passgaes/questions.

I focused a lot of my time on content review and didn't complete as many practice passages and questions as I should have.

I took AAMC practice tests.... however my scores were never good enough because I didn't feel comfortable with the material yet.

Ironically, my verbal was a 9 and what killed me was PS and BS =[

I believe I need to work on content review, but even MORE on practice passgaes/questions.

That's reasonable. You don't really study for your verbal. You go in knowing it.

I'll tell you how to study. Open the book, and start reading. Feel like going on youtube to waste time? SMACK yourself in the face and call yourself pathetic. That's what I did, and I think it sorta helped me. Really- that's a good method of motivating yourself.

That's reasonable. You don't really study for your verbal. You go in knowing it.

I'll tell you how to study. Open the book, and start reading. Feel like going on youtube to waste time? SMACK yourself in the face and call yourself pathetic. That's what I did, and I think it sorta helped me. Really- that's a good method of motivating yourself.

Ill try that.... :slap:

Im so going to try this wen i go to study physio and genetics right now XD.

I am studying for a retake (hopefully January) and I just can't force myself to sit down and study! I am using TBR for everything with the exception of TPR for Bio. I can sit and study for 1.5 hours while taking notes and then I call it a day. I absolutely KNOW that this is unacceptable but I can't force myself to sit back down and concentrate. I have never ever had this issue in college and now that I've graduated, it seems I cant buckle down. :eek::confused::scared:

So..... how do you guys study throughout the day??

Sample schedules would be appreciated......

I just don't know what to do!

I studied in the summer, following the EK 10 week program with all of the optionals. I moved the saturday 1001 practices to the day I learned the material though. My routine was:

excercise 8-9am
study 10am-6pm (though sometimes it ended at 3pm)
go out or baseball game 7pm-10pm
repeat for 10 weeks all summer long

I tried following the original EK schedule, but doing 2 Mini MCATs, a verbal 101 passage, and 4 1001 science chapters in one day took me 14 hours. Yes, I studied nonstop from 6am to 8pm one dismal Saturday, with only one short break for a sandwich. That was too much studying.

Shooting to take the test in Jan as well.

I think a consistent, dedicated every day effort from now till test day will be what ultimately gets anyone a good score.

I work full time for a living so I find that I can really only intensely study for 2-3hrs a day during the week after work before I just have to stop. Weekends are for catching up/reviewing (and football :p). So far (~1 month) still way on track with content review and have months for practice passages/practice tests.

If you sit down and study hard for 1.5-2hrs every. single. day. from now to test day, you'll probably be fine :)

When does registration open again for January 2012 MCATs? Is there a standard way to check the conditions at the testing site?

When does registration open again for January 2012 MCATs? Is there a standard way to check the conditions at the testing site?

It opens up in october, not sure in the beginning or middle or end of it though. You could go there to the testing center to ask any question and check the testing center in the same time if you want.

You do know that you'll probably spend much more time studying in med school than on the MCAT right? Signs that you have trouble focusing is not good. I probably spent 6 hours a day on MCAT, and now spend 6+ hours studying on top of 8-5 classes. Buckle down and get it done. Nobody here can prod you to turning a leaf and studying harder. It all comes down to your own self discipline, drive for medicine, and ability to bounce back from your first MCAT.

Good luck and I hope you find something that works for you. Perhaps try a change of scenery will help.

Try to force yourself because Jan is approaching and you will realize how close you are to the test date. I hear people in med school spend a lot more time studying than people like us preparing for MCAT.

Make a schedule and stick to it. No excuses. (Check out the SN2ed study plan thread on this forum for schedule outlines and ideas)

If you don't have the willpower/discipline to do that, medical school might be challenging.

I hear people in med school spend a lot more time studying than people like us preparing for MCAT.

It's ridiculous. So much consistent, daily studying is needed just to get by in med school.

hahaa sounds like an effective way to get motivated :thumbup:

But seriously, make yourself a schedule (a realistic one), so you don't have an excuse to not follow it. Set aside some time everyday to do whatever and get it out of your system. Mentally note how much you want to study for that day and really try to finish it. When you start your study session, remove yourself from anything that may distract you.
I studied from 9-noon, gave myself a lunch break and watched some tv, and then back to studying for the whole afternoon. After dinner was my free time, unless I didn't reach my goal for the day. Sadly I wasn't able to go into this hardcore study mode until very close to my mcat due to other obligations, but I at least tried to do practice problems for each section everyday. good luck!

I was a retaker too and what motivated me to study more was how ****ty my first score was. I don't know if that would apply to you but I told myself, if I mess up again I would never succeed. Turned out well for me

I think different schedules work for different people but I think it is important to be consistent.
I am not one of the people who can sit down and study from morning untill evening and on top I have a job. However, what works for me is to study 2-3 hours a day every work day and then do more hard studying on a weekend.
I try to take breaks when my brain starts to reject information and I get stuck on one thing.
just think what makes you motivated to study for the test and use it to start doing it. Unless your mind in it 100%, no suggestions ( even great ones) from anybody would motivate you.
Just have faith and get done with it.