How do you guys use UWORLD to study?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

surfguy84

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm totally on board with using UWORLD as a study resource..as well as using it early and oftenjoy.

My question is, how are you guys retaining or learning from the explanations? I'm thinking about creating anki cards with every question or fact I didn't confidently know, but not sure if this is a good move or not. Would love to hear other opunions on how to maximize this resource.

Members don't see this ad.

Some do flashcards others keep a journal. Whatever fits your style.

Reactions: 1 user
Some do flashcards others keep a journal. Whatever fits your style.

Agree with this -- how do you retain minutiae? For me, I first studied the system/section in question, then used practice Q's to hammer home what was really important and how they would ask about it, then wrote down a synopsis and the factoids I had trouble recalling. Wash, rinse, repeat a few times. Then I went to another system and did the same. After about 2 days, I'd go back and review the first system to reinforce what I had lost and my understanding of what I'd retained. For me to truly learn something, I have to read it slowly and work through it in my mind. Then I need to quiz myself somehow over it -- kind of a "look at the starter from this angle of the vehicle" type of deal so I can recognize what I'm being asked. Then I need to step back and verbalize the totality of what I've learned....and then I'm good with a bit of refresher. Long process, didn't always have time for it in medical school, but when the chips were down, I took a failing OMM grade to a high B with one exam. I looked at that exam score report and almost screamed, " Who's THE MAN! I OWN YOU!!!"....felt good for that one exam.....then we went back to the suckfest that was medical school.....

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm totally on board with using UWORLD as a study resource..as well as using it early and oftenjoy.

My question is, how are you guys retaining or learning from the explanations? I'm thinking about creating anki cards with every question or fact I didn't confidently know, but not sure if this is a good move or not. Would love to hear other opunions on how to maximize this resource.

The minutiae are usually facts that can be derived larger concepts. Think of a tree with branches and leaves. The tree is the base, so without that, the leaves fall. So lets say you have a question about cystic fibrosis, and they tell you a patient has neural/dorsal column symptoms. Then they ask you what vitamin deficiency is most likely. Now you can simply memorize that vitamin E is deficient in cystic fibrosis, or you can think through it like this: Cystic fibrosis causes a primary dysfunction in the pancreas (the tree trunk), and subsequently enzymes can't be secreted to break down fats and proteins (branch). Vitamins A,D,E, and K are fat soluble and will therefore not be absorbed, causing the symptoms of ADEK deficiency. Now you'll have to know what each deficiency causes, but E is the one that answers the question. When you do a question, try to tie facts to larger concepts. This will allow you to understand, learn, and remember important concepts more than repetitive flashcards ever will. But to each their own.

Reactions: 2 users
The minutiae are usually facts that can be derived larger concepts. Think of a tree with branches and leaves. The tree is the base, so without that, the leaves fall. So lets say you have a question about cystic fibrosis, and they tell you a patient has neural/dorsal column symptoms. Then they ask you what vitamin deficiency is most likely. Now you can simply memorize that vitamin E is deficient in cystic fibrosis, or you can think through it like this: Cystic fibrosis causes a primary dysfunction in the pancreas (the tree trunk), and subsequently enzymes can't be secreted to break down fats and proteins (branch). Vitamins A,D,E, and K are fat soluble and will therefore not be absorbed, causing the symptoms of ADEK deficiency. Now you'll have to know what each deficiency causes, but E is the one that answers the question. When you do a question, try to tie facts to larger concepts. This will allow you to understand, learn, and remember important concepts more than repetitive flashcards ever will. But to each their own.

Appreciate your advice. I do agree that making flashcards for every little bit of minutiae isn't going to be helpful. But I thought making cards to get some of the trunks and branches down, so to be speak, might be useful. I just didn't know if this was the best way to do it...

I annotated the explanations in the corresponding section of First Aid which helps give a bigger picture rather than random facts

Then I would write the test and question # next to it so if I wanted to review Afib I would have an easy way to get to just those questions in UW

I also later added stuff from Golgan lectures although some simply use his path book or the pdf thay can be found online