How do you have time for a family let alone, time to find a husband??!?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

predentlove

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm about to finish up my undergrad years.
I'm taking a year off and applying for dental school.
I was just wondering if it's impossible to actually date in dental school.
I know some people get into dental school with families so props to you guys!

It just seems like it would be a lot going on at once.

For the dentists out there, where did you find your significant other and how did you maintain that relationship through D school?

Also, for those that are single... When is the ideal age for you to get married?

Members don't see this ad.

Of course you can date, have fun, do whatever you want.

If you aren't allowing yourself these opportunities, you're doing dental school all wrong.

For the dentists out there, where did you find your significant other and how did you maintain that relationship through D school?

Also, for those that are single... When is the ideal age for you to get married?

I know quite a few people who have met people while in d-school who are either now married or still seriously involved. Now, there are those who have had relationships who have failed as well. But, dating in d-school realistically is no different than any other time in life other than the fact you are in a education program which requires a little more studying. If you do not allow yourself to have a normal life - dating, going out with friends, go on vacations, etc. - you will be miserable during d-school. It is a stressful time which requires you to find a way to release the frustrations of school at times.

"Also, for those that are single... When is the ideal age for you to get married?" - I find this question rather funny. You are asking people who are single when is the ideal age to get married. I would think you shou;d ask those who are married what they feel is the idea age to get married because they are the ones who have experienced the marriage gig and can tell you the pros and cons of the age they got married. Those who are single can only speculate when the ideal age is. Plus, the ideal age will vary from person to person. We each have our own ideas on marriage, our own goals in life, our own maturity level, etc. which dictates when it is ideal for us. I know people who married each other at 18 yo who have lived a very full life as a married couple. Others, who felt they needed to get married later in life.

Members don't see this ad :)

Yes, you will find time if you want it. Establish what's important to you and prioritize it. If you let dental school control your life too much, you're going to find yourself a very unhappy person, and you're likely going to make your few dates pretty unhappy too.

To answer the second question just for fun, I want to get married after I've secured a position to start paying down the debt (graduation), or after I've found a sugar momma who doesn't mind footing the bills while I get my debt under control :love:

I had no time for dating during my first two years, but after part I of the boards, I signed up for match.com to meet people other than dentists. I met a wonderful guy 6 months later (March of third year) and three years later, we are married! It's possible! And awesome to have something to talk about outside of school. I warned him that fourth year, with boards and graduation requirements, would be crazy and I might not be myself with all of the stress. However, I had plenty of time to devote to a relationship and it was great to have such a strong support system during that time. I had plenty of classmates who met new people, dated, married, and/or had kids during school. It's all about priorities and balance.

I married my high school sweet heart right after graduating undergrad (well, it was actually the day before walking...) It works out well for us while I am in school. She understands that the first two years are going to be really rough but thats what it takes. I take as much time out of my 'non-busy' weeks to hang out with her, make her dinner, go out to dinner, etc. Although we are only 22 years old, we dont really go out much so we spend friday and saturday nights watching movies. I am sure our marriage dynamic will change once she pops out our son/duaghter (we are keeping the sex a secret) in december (during finals week to boot). She works from home and transcribes our class lectures for our class to study ("Verbatims") so that helps her understand how much I have going on and also gives us some common ground to talk about bc she is learning a lot, and it also helps because she doesnt have to be all stressed out about working while being preggers etc.

There are many people in my class that got married in between D1 and D2 and/or are dating people, some are dating people in the same class or with someone in a different year.

its possible. Like everything in DSchool, it is all dependent on your time management.

Dental school killed the relationship I had with my college sweetheart. I simply did not have enough time to pursue a long distance romance.

I, personally, found dental school a terrible place to have a dating life. Maybe it was my temperament. Or maybe it was the town my DS was located. I don't know.

HOWEVER, After DS my dating life was great!

i have classmates that have started relationships during school, ended established relationships that started before school, gotten married, gotten divorced, started new relationships after divorce, you name it.

i have classmates that have started relationships during school, ended established relationships that started before school, gotten married, gotten divorced, started new relationships after divorce, you name it.

Starting a relationship in dental school after ending one that started before dental school, proceeded to get married, found a new relationship after the marriage, got divorced, then remarried!?

Been married now just over 14 years to my wife. We were in the same class in dental school and never knew each other before entering dental school - heck we both showed upto our 1st year of dental school in other long distance relationships that fell apart by Thanksgiving of our 1st year.

You quickly will find a balance between the academic demands of d-school and various forms of "regular" life activities that will help you get through dental school

For those who are gameless before dental school, gamelessness continues during and after dental school.
6a00d8341bf6e653ef0154339466c8970c-800wi

There is plenty of time the first 2 years of dental school for fun. If you let school dominate your life and you give up your personal life for school you will grow to hate it. I made a promise to myself before i started 1st year that i wasnt going to let school interfere with personal life, and i play in several different baseball leagues, and date all the time. Its all up to the individual person and how they manage.

It seems to me that the people who can make time for their personal lives are also the ones who are incredibly smart. I consider myself to be of average intelligence (probably in the bottom 5 of my class) and therefore need to put in much more time than everyone else to learn the same amount of material.

Members don't see this ad :)
It seems to me that the people who can make time for their personal lives are also the ones who are incredibly smart. I consider myself to be of average intelligence (probably in the bottom 5 of my class) and therefore need to put in much more time than everyone else to learn the same amount of material.
Making time isn't the issue. It's being gameless that is the issue.

I am by far not one of the incredibly smart ones. I earn my grades. But, I do not feel only the incredibly smart ones can have a life and succeed in school. It is about time management and how you aproach studying. For me, I survive on little sleep. I rot my organs by drinking multiple energy drinks per night to get my studying done along with any chores that need to be completed around the house. I do not study when my children are awake. We get so little time with them during the week usually that I do what I can to avoid taking away my time from them. On the weekends, it is all about them. The only time I study during the day on the weekend is during finals. Other than that, it is all about my family. If I were single, I am sure I would be playing a lot like I did the first time in d-school (and no, I didn't flunk out because of playing a lot back then.)

I actually agree with you.

It seems like I have to work 3x harder than most of my peers in undergrad. It might be the fact that i'm not applying myself as well.. or maybe they just understand things quicker?

I don't know. Or maybe behind the scenes they really study and make it seem like a breeze.... but then again some people are just smart.