How do you keep all this pharm straight?

Discussion in 'Step I' started by MSKalltheway, Jun 4, 2008.

1. MSKalltheway

MSKalltheway I got the magic stick

Resident [Any Field]
    It seems like whenever I put something in my head, it tends to slip out about 5 secs later...any secrets to retain a thing or two here?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. alpha06

alpha06 Senior Member
    Bronze Donor Classifieds Approved

Resident [Any Field]
    I say repetition. Keep drilling it every night until you take the test. Eventually the information will stick.

4. medstu2006

medstu2006 Senior Member

I was thinking about it today and I think I will start reviewing by doing 1-2 pharm sections a day. Hopefully that'll keep pharm in my head. Also, it's best to do pharm of related organ systems together. Like, do cardio, renal and musculo together. Endocrine and Reproductive should go together. That has helped me connect the missing links and has also helped understand the side effects a little better. Hope this helps.

5. TerpMD

Resident [Any Field]
    If you have Katzung and Trevor in Appendix 1 they have an alphabetical list of important drugs. It's good for covering one side and quizzing yourself.

6. Tiger26

Tiger26 Senior Member
    Physician

Attending Physician
    Our pharm class was easily the hardest of the first two years since we had ~550 drugs, mxm, side effects, contraindications, uses . . . and it was short answer rather than multiple choice, so we really had to know our stuff.

With that said, I still miss a lot of the crazy side effects that are just sitting in my PDA right now

7. 45408

45408 aw buddy

Resident [Any Field]
    yeah, my school's pharm class was like that too

:idea:

8. Taus

Taus .

Attending Physician
    -repetition and mnemonics

-a deep understanding of the mechanism will let you easily remember the major indications and side efx

-the two pages in the intro to pharm section of FA that lists all the major side effects are gold

9. PlasticMan

PlasticMan Senior Member

CMMRS for antimicrobials. Pharmnemonics by Howard Shen for the rest.

10. lilnoelle

Moderator Emeritus

Resident [Any Field]
    I'm having the same problem. Pharm was by far my strongest point when I started studying for Step I.... but two weeks later and I've forgotten A LOT. I took a practice exam the other day, and it was one of my weakest portions. :eek:

11. Proverbs31

Resident [Any Field]
    Well.... I believe in helping people out! :) Pharm is rough and a large part of the USMLE and the COMLEX.
    Heres Some Pharm Mneumonics I have...Feel free to use what helps and if anyone has a way to remember the MECHANISMs easier or even where exactly I get this "well-explained mechanisms of action" of the drugs and classes.... please pass along!

:)

Attached Files:

12. Proverbs31

Resident [Any Field]
    where do I find that deep understanding? In FA?? I cant find where it explains mech of drug classes.... :)

13. MSKalltheway

MSKalltheway I got the magic stick

Resident [Any Field]
    That was nice of you to do that...thank you!

14. Mellifera

Medical Student
    Thank you! That is really helpful :)

15. TerpMD

Resident [Any Field]
    I've recommended these on SDN before (see link)- I think they are awesome. If I actually learned everything in these I would be in great shape! They can seem overwhelming but they really help with understanding not just memorizing (though good for both!)

I like that they have detailed mechanisms and they relate classes of drugs on a single cards and focus on the differences. I'm not a huge fan of FA pharm because with that alone I certainly can't score well on the pharm in UW.

http://www.amazon.com/Pharmcards-Review-Cards-Medical-Students/dp/0781766087/ref=pd_bbs_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1212635807&sr=8-2

16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. VeggieGal

VeggieGal Senior Member

Terp--

I used those pharmcards when studying for pharm throughout 2nd year at school. however, do you think that they are excessive for step 1? at this point, i feel that by using those cards, i understand mechanisms pretty well. however, my problem is during practice blocks, where i see a list of drugs and i can't remember what class one of them is in.

basically, i like the pharm cards for learning, but for memorizing and repetition, i have found them rather long. any advice?

thanks

18. VeggieGal

VeggieGal Senior Member

also are you using an outside book (ie katzung or kaplan, etc.) with the pharm cards or do you feel their information is adequate enough?

thanks

19. cgk

cgk Member

Pre-Medical
    Do you think using the BRS flashcards along with FA 2008 is sufficient to do well on step one phamacology questions or should I also purchase the Lange flashcards? Please advise.

20. TerpMD

Resident [Any Field]
    I am using them with Katzung but I find that Katzung is harder to read so I've mainly been using them. I try not to get frustrated by not knowing everything on the cards (they do have a lot). In the back of Katzung I use the appendix to quiz too but with the pharm cards sometimes I just go through and say what does this do. (rather than all the uses, SE etc) The thing I like about them as opposed to Katzung is that all the info I need about a class of drugs in one place and once I feel that I know enough about something (like beta blockers) I can put that card in a seperate pile and not review it again.

You're prob right that if someone has never used them before, studying for step 1 might not be the best place to start but I think it's possible if you have the right mindset about them.

I have the same prob with drugs. I see a list and they all start with D and then I completely go blank as to what they do!

Cgk- I haven't used BRS so I can't answer your q. Sorry!

21. PlasticMan

PlasticMan Senior Member

This is why I recommended the Pharmnemonics cards. If you like MMRS, it's the same idea. Cartoons to help you recall. The good thing about these cards is every cartoon is related to the name of the drug, so just by looking at the name later, you recall the cartoon, which will help you recall most things about the drug. For example, there is a card showing a cartoon of a lazy guy (I'm so lazy - INH), supporting himself on a cane (procainamide) and standing in a foot of water (hydralazine), and he has a malar rash. This helps me remember which drugs cause SLE like symptoms.

Another example showing what I mean is the card for Mifepristone with the caption "The MIdwIFE prays in a PRIEST's TONE after she has terminated an early pregnancy." The cartoon picture is of a midwife. It then has the MOA, uses and sides. Under sides it says "this midwife feels BAD about abortion too) Bleeding, Agitated GI tract, Diarrhea.

When you're taking a test, you can look at the list of drugs and just by seeing the name of the drug, relate it to a certain cartoon. These cards helped me a great deal with pharm; I can't understand why people don't recommend them more often!

22. BlondeCookie

BlondeCookie Senior Member

I saw the Pharmnemonics Flash Cards on Amazon and was thinking about ordering them, but I am afraid that I may have too many resources. I already am using two different review books for Pharm. I have a problem with Pharm because drugs are easily forgotten and I need something to speed up my Pharm memorization. Do you think these would slow me down because of my "too many books" situation?

23. PlasticMan

PlasticMan Senior Member

If you like MMRS style and learn well that way, then I would get these cards and switch to them as the primary pharm source. Just like MMRS, it takes a subject that is dry and makes it easy to recall by relating it to something other than just words. Some of my friends were blown away by these cards; others (who didn't particularly like cartoons) did not. For me, it was the only way to learn pharm. Just as MMRS is the only way for me to retain micro.

24. kryptik

Resident [Any Field]
    i am in the market for Pharm flashcards and cannot decide which one to get, i will be using the cards as a supplement to class, preferably it should have all the key info i need to do well on the Step I since i plan on using them for step study.
    i checked out Pharmneumonics and Lange Pharm cards, does anyone know if the Pharmneumonics have a vignette like the Lange cards do, if it does i will pick that over the lange.