How do you keep studying when your body says no?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cryhavoc

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I've noticed lately that around hour five or six of studying, I start to feel like I'm going to burst out of my skin. My hand is cramping up. I sigh every five minutes. My leg is tapping. My eyes hurt. My lower back is aching. I've been sitting at a desk too long. So I take a ten minute break.

Problem is, even after the ten minute break is over, I still feel like that. So I grab coffee and a snack and sort of will power my way through the remaining hours. Sometimes as many as 6-8 more.

Still, incredibly uncomfortable. I don't even think I have attention disorder, I just don't think it is natural to sit all day everyday writing for months on end.

But obviously, studying constantly is needed and there nothing to do with it. So how do you cope? I can give myself pep talk, hence the will powering my way through it, but my body protests.

I sometimes wish all my lessons could have like props and materials that I could interact with and walk around learning. But it would take too long to make them and I don't think a museum of interactive medical lessons is in any school's budget.

I digress, coping mechanisms?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
So I've noticed lately that around hour five or six of studying, I start to feel like I'm going to burst out of my skin. My hand is cramping up. I sigh every five minutes. My leg is tapping. My eyes hurt. My lower back is aching. I've been sitting at a desk too long. So I take a ten minute break.

Problem is, even after the ten minute break is over, I still feel like that. So I grab coffee and a snack and sort of will power my way through the remaining hours. Sometimes as many as 6-8 more.

Still, incredibly uncomfortable. I don't even think I have attention disorder, I just don't think it is natural to sit all day everyday writing for months on end.

But obviously, studying constantly is needed and there nothing to do with it. So how do you cope? I can give myself pep talk, hence the will powering my way through it, but my body protests.

I sometimes wish all my lessons could have like props and materials that I could interact with and walk around learning. But it would take too long to make them and I don't think a museum of interactive medical lessons is in any school's budget.

I digress, coping mechanisms?

How long are you studying per day? I usually make it about 5-6 hours and then from there call it a day unless I'm a few days out from an exam.

The one thing that has helped me tremendously is that after a few ours I go to a different place, whether it's at school or a different coffee shop, I have to change the scenery a little. I get up every hour, walk around, call my wife/parents and chat.

Another thing I do more is just study standing up or lay down for a little on my back. I am just like you in the fact that I am constantly fidgeting haha.

Reactions: 1 users
AlteredScale has great advice.

Have you tried Pomodoro? It can be very effective for when your mind and body just aren't having it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Members don't see this ad :)
How long are you studying per day? I usually make it about 5-6 hours and then from there call it a day unless I'm a few days out from an exam.

The one thing that has helped me tremendously is that after a few ours I go to a different place, whether it's at school or a different coffee shop, I have to change the scenery a little. I get up every hour, walk around, call my wife/parents and chat.

Another thing I do more is just study standing up or lay down for a little on my back. I am just like you in the fact that I am constantly fidgeting haha.

I'd also recommend "tummy time" where you lay on the floor staring at your laptop (definitely not wallowing in despair or anything).

Reactions: 4 users

I just feel like I waste so much time driving places, setting it up, etc. I have a lot of art supplies, books, my computer, etc. at my desk. And all my notes either pasted to the wall or arranged on the floor around me. Hard to go mobile.
Plus I have to pee a lot. And then I got to pack everything up because I don't trust leaving my stuff out. My friend had her laptop stolen in undergrad during a restroom break . . .

I just feel like I waste so much time driving places, setting it up, etc. I have a lot of art supplies, books, my computer, etc. at my desk. And all my notes either pasted to the wall or arranged on the floor around me. Hard to go mobile.
Plus I have to pee a lot. And then I got to pack everything up because I don't trust leaving my stuff out. My friend had her laptop stolen in undergrad during a restroom break . . .

You don't need every minute or hour in the day to do well. If you're feeling like you're wasting time in the car, I recommend finding better music.

Reactions: 2 users

Dr. Celty has an excellent point. Wasted time doesn't have to be wasted. Use 'wasted time' for recreation.

Have to walk somewhere? Memes on the mobile.
Have to drive somewhere? That's now a deafening RATM headbanging sesh.
Have to get up to pee? Savor that piss.
Setting up lots of materials? Do something to make it more enjoyable.

These little wastes of time will relax you and let you focus better, thus studying more efficiently.

I should also mention that the method you use to study sounds like it could be better. You may do well to look into others.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is how I feel during board prep season plus on top of studying for my classes. I like taking like a 30min to an hour break talking to one of my classmates and complain. It doesn't make me feel 100% recharged for studying, but it does help so my body doesn't feel as dead. I feel better after laying in bed or on the sofa for 2-3 hours, but that's just me haha. Then I go study for a few more hours at night.

Don't wait 5-6 hours to take that 10 minute break. If you take one every hour or two, it can prevent burnout, but it you wait until you're already exhausted, it won't help. You may feel like you're wasting time with those early breaks but at the end of the day, you might get more down in lots of productive 50 minute chunks than 5 hours while you were subconsciously losing steam.

Reactions: 3 users
Frequent short breaks. And when you really aren't having it, go for a run for 20-30 minutes.

Rumor has it that some students prefer Adderall.

Reactions: 1 user
As previously stated, take a 15 minute break after every hour of studying. And take a 1 hour break for lunch and dinner. Follow the schedule like a soldier. During your breaks absolutely NO studying, no thinking about the material, nada. Give your neurons some time to rest.

Just get a pomodoro app so you can schedule your studying so it doesn't turn into exhaustion. Better to study 5 hours efficiently than study 10 hours inefficiently.

Pomodoro technique + Pomodorium (tiny RPG-like game based on pomodoro technique, makes pomodoro technique less boring)

During 2nd year, I had a white board and would just write on it while pacing back and forth talking to myself about certain pathophys, etc.

A lot better than just sitting for hours reading.

Don't forget to incorporate some FAP with your UFAP.

CryHavok,

Can you give us an update? Was any of the information on here useful?