How do you know if an interview went well?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pAkhtmAn

pAkht mEmbEr
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey All,
Here's a question: How do you know if your interview went well? I've had two interviews so far and they have both been very laid back. I simply talked to my interviewer about different stuff I had mentioned on my application. I thought my delivery wasn't too bad, I just don't know how they will judge it. I never really encountered difficult questions, nor did I stumble in my answers. I might have rambled occasionaly. In both cases, the interviewer responded positively and was generally very friendly. I came out of both interviews with a good feeling, but then I think to myself, so must everybody else. What makes a good interview different from a bad one? Are there such things as a bad interview? If both my interviews went well, am I going to get in?

Members don't see this ad.

Ah...I'm not really sure about the "right" answer to this...when I went to my one and only interview so far..I left with a pretty good feeling, as if I just "hit it off" with my faculty interviewer (this likely has to do with the fact that I was interviewing at the school I currently go to, and the doc knew a prof I had studied abroad with over the summer..) However, as the days dwindled before I heard back..I just kept thinking of things I should've/shouldn't have said....second guessing myself. Personally, I think you should just go with your gut...if you think it went well, it probably did!!

By the way, I got in! :D

hard to tell dude... i've had some interviews like that so i know how you feel... As long as you gave clear, honest and intelligent answers then you should feel like you gave it your best shot.... I too wish I could tell what my interviewer was thinking... GOOD LUCK!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
i dont know about your first few questions but as to your last one:

the interview definitely helps you but at most schools i do not think that it will get you in. your app always goes before the whole committee and your interview performance is certainly reported but all the other factors will have to be what they are looking for if the rest of the adcom is going to vote you in.

Even more evidence on how big of crap shoot this actually is.
-Eric

I think interviews are 'great' when the interviewer offers some flake of promise that you'll be accepted. At GW my interviewer said he sees me getting in this year---and I did. At Syracuse my interviewer said he looked forward to seeing me next year. I was in a week later. At Albany, I got fumpled in words and my interviewers maintained a flat, neutral demeanor... I got waitlisted. At two other schools to remain nameless, my intervewers said something along the lines, "so what's it going to take to get you to come here?" (seriously) Those, of 15 in two years, were the most remarkable, and ultimately, predictable.

hey shamthis-

My interview said in an email to me post-interview "I think you are a perfect match for the program" where do you think that puts me?????

I AM STILL WAITING!!!

SS

I say odds are good. At the same time, "I think you are a perfect match for the program" is different than "What will it take to get you into our program"...

My guess is that these interviewers are sneaky with their word choice, and careful. IMO, they do not make promises unless they're steadfast about something. If you want to get really picky, it's possible that you're a perfect match for the program but your chances are dicey because a low bio II grade, etc... get the distinction?

But if I were you I'd be reeling. That's great news...congratulations! :clap:

Thanks you are making me feel good!! I have had a hard time not getting excited over this! I should know anytime in the next two weeks....

I wouldn't get too excited about this until you get an acceptance. I got a "I think you are a VERY strong applicant" after one of my interviews. I was subsequently in the hold category and not accepted in the first round.

I'm not trying to dampen your excitement, but don't count your chickens. The application process is a very emotional one, and I cope by not getting too excited or too depressed---yet!

At the conclusion of both my interviews, the interviewer usually said something to the effect that we like you and we expect to see you next year. That left me feeling great, but I wondered if they say that to all applicants just as a matter of being polite. Well, I find out within the next week if I've been accepted at one school, and in January at the other. I still got three more interviews but I think that those three are so late that I'm just competing for spots on the waitlist.

point taken..... :)

I can't wait to know for sure....

Originally posted by shamthis
I think interviews are 'great' when the interviewer offers some flake of promise that you'll be accepted. At GW my interviewer said he sees me getting in this year---and I did. At Syracuse my interviewer said he looked forward to seeing me next year. I was in a week later. At Albany, I got fumpled in words and my interviewers maintained a flat, neutral demeanor... I got waitlisted. At two other schools to remain nameless, my intervewers said something along the lines, "so what's it going to take to get you to come here?" (seriously) Those, of 15 in two years, were the most remarkable, and ultimately, predictable.

I agree that it is a great feeling when your interviewer says this, but just a warning... it doesn't necessarily mean you are definitely in. My interviewer at GW also told me that I'd make a great asset to next year's class and that she looks forward to seeing me next year there, but I got weightlisted. Though not a rejection , its not a definitely acceptance either