How do you know if your interview went well?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BirkChick

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
...besides getting that letter of acceptance of course!

I have seen many posts where someone says that their interview "went well". What clues you in that your interview is going well, or is failing miserably?

I've had two interviews so far, and I've come out of both not knowing how they went. I am highly critical of myself, though, so that may be contributing to this lack of post-interview confidence.

When I was interviewing for engineering jobs four years ago, I was cursed with the same feeling of unknown; however, I did (miraculously) end up with multiple job offers, so I guess they didn't go all that bad...

Members don't see this ad.

I'm also highly critical of myself and walk out of the interview thinking I should have said this or that or "why the hell did I say that?" My only consolation for the last one was that they said I was a strong candidate at the end of the interview, so pessimist or not I could only take that as a good sign.

At my first interview I was asked what my wife's MCAT scores were and if she had applied to the medical school there because they don't like to break apart couples. That was really nice to hear, but I'm sweating bullets now to see what her MCAT scores are when they're issued in a week or so.

When asked what my strengths and weaknesses were at that interview, I think my nervous system shut down and I managed to mumble some non-sensical mouth garbage. This was not a high point among my interviews. :laugh: Anybody else been lip-locked on a seemingly simple question yet?

Honestly if I was an adcom, I wouldn't give the interviewee any clues as to how he did. I'm sure the anxiety you suffer until the letter comes in the mail becomes tears of joy, which is a great feeling. The waiting period really makes you appreciate what you have coming to you. You'll get in with those stats no problem.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm also highly critical of myself and walk out of the interview thinking I should have said this or that or "why the hell did I say that?" My only consolation for the last one was that they said I was a strong candidate at the end of the interview, so pessimist or not I could only take that as a good sign.

At my first interview I was asked what my wife's MCAT scores were and if she had applied to the medical school there because they don't like to break apart couples. That was really nice to hear, but I'm sweating bullets now to see what her MCAT scores are when they're issued in a week or so.

When asked what my strengths and weaknesses were at that interview, I think my nervous system shut down and I managed to mumble some non-sensical mouth garbage. This was not a high point among my interviews. :laugh: Anybody else been lip-locked on a seemingly simple question yet?

There is nothing easy about that question if you are not prepared. I would of mumbled something ******ed too. As long as you don't talk about banging hoez and taking drugs, they are not going to give a rats azz

At one of my interviews, I was told that I had a "good application". While many people would take that as a positive, my only thought was "so, it's not a great/excellent/strong/stupendous/fabuloso/etc. application? It's only "good"". Perfectionism is a curse sometimes.

I agree,

At one of my interviews I was told, "your application and stats are great, I think you will be accepted, if not you will be near the top of the alternate list."

That is 2 way different things to say, you will be selected, and you will be a great alternate. Which is it? ........................

I keep mangling and twisting this phrase up in my mind. I just need to take it for what it was, a compliment. Birk, you should do the same I think.

i always walk out of interviews wondering how i did. some interviewers seem to be pretty open about the fact that they like/dislike you, but most of the time they only smile politely a few times, and then send me on my way. i guess it'll all come out after dec 1.
i read in an article that if you let the interviewer do most of the talking then they are more likely to see you in a positive light, but if you do all the talking then they'll see you in a negative light. but when i try to let the interviewer talk alot then i feel like i haven't represented myself very strongly and end up feeling like it was a bad interview. but then again, it only matters how the interviewer feels.

Yeah, the pessimism tends to win out sometimes...I mean, so what if I'm a "strong candidate." I wouldn't be there interviewing otherwise right?

ddsmack - I would take the compliment "I think you will be accepted" over "strong candidate" any day of the week. So yeah...take it as a compliment.

I just need to take it for what it was, a compliment. Birk, you should do the same I think.

You are correct. Unfortunately, it's really difficult to change the way one thinks. But, it's something that I can work on...

Lets see, one of my interviews I was told at the end that I should be able to handle the workload of dental school and at another one I got a lot of "good answers" and "that's true" following my responses... To this day, I am still worried about my chances at those schools.

my first and only interview last cycle, I had a tough time, thought i handled the interview well, but apparently not because i got a rejection soon after. Perception vs. reality is extremely different.
One way to improve your skills is to do mock interviews either by videotape or in front of the mirror. Not to memorize answers, because interviewers can see right through a prepared answer but rather to critique your style, how your composure changes when a hard question is asked and also if to see if you have any annoying 'ticks' like always saying ummm or 'like'. Sometimes these things are unnoticeable first person and only a video or the sorts can bring it out.

ruth were was your interview if you dont mind me asking?

I don't think you can tell if an interview goes good or not. There's a trick I use to gauge how well I'm doing.
when the interviewer ask if you have any questions, use this opportunity to ask... "What kind of characteristics does ______ (put the name of the school youre interviewing at here) look for in a candidate for matriculation"

The interviewer will most likely tell you that they look for someone with strong academic..bla bla bla and they will usually go down the list of your stat and tell you whether you're competitive or not. At the end they usually finish with... "You should not have anything to worry about young lady/man"

THat's a good interview.

If they just end the answer with the general "strong academic background and DAT capabilities" then well your interview could be good or bad.
That's not saying much is it?

Members don't see this ad :)
when the interviewer ask if you have any questions, use this opportunity to ask... "What kind of characteristics does ______ (put the name of the school youre interviewing at here) look for in a candidate for matriculation"

That's not a bad idea!

Very nice insight, I will use it tomorrow!!!!

Interview went well: They used the green pen more

Interview went bad: They used the red pen more

That reminds me of one of my interivews,

The sheet they were writing on had numbers like 1-5, they kept circling 5 for each section.

I pray that a five was a positive thing!

Have you all ever tried to spy casually on their sheets and what they are writing?

Have you all ever tried to spy casually on their sheets and what they are writing?

So far, my interviewers' handwriting has been so terrible, this hasn't been possible...:D

for those of you that have had interviews, when the question was asked to "explain some weakneses" what did you guys say? cuz you want to say something that doesnt hurt your chances of getting in, but on the other hand you cant say im perfect. little help please.

The interviews I have had thus far, the interviewer did not have any paper or pen writing anything down or making notes. I wasn't asked a whole lot about dentistry... just about my shadowing and my extracurriculars. Both my interviews have been very conversational and comfortable. I hope it's a good thing. We'll see how my next interview goes. I think different schools probably do different things.

Mine said, "Good luck in your professional pursuits." That's what they say in rejection letters! Sigh.... my one and only, and I screwed up? =*( Right after the interview, I thought I did pretty well. But the more I think about it, the more I think: "I should've said this; I shouldn't have said that." My gf is having a difficult time keeping me sane.

for those of you that have had interviews, when the question was asked to "explain some weakneses" what did you guys say? cuz you want to say something that doesnt hurt your chances of getting in, but on the other hand you cant say im perfect. little help please.

Either say "hookers and whiskey" or "ice cream". But seriously it is best to be honest, as long as they are things like " don't take critism" , " I don't work well with others". They look for honesty and if you say I am a perfectionist they could really not really see the real you. (imperfect but has potential)

It went well, I asked what they look for in students as mentioned above, and the interviewer compared their standards to mine and pointed out that I was a strong applicant. He didn't say anything other than that. It was a way laid back interview.