How do you know what school will allow out of state student pay in state tuition after a year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Oversea

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi every one!
how do you know if a school will let out of state students pay in state tuition after one or two year? Is the only way to know is calling and asking the school? Do you know any specific school that allow us to do so? By the way, i am from texas.
Thank you for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Best bet would be to call the school to talk to someone about how to do this. I know at my school you have to fill out paperwork basically right when you're accepted so that in your P2 year hopefully you qualify for in-state tuition.

Reactions: 1 user
Best bet would be to call the school to talk to someone about how to do this. I know at my school you have to fill out paperwork basically right when you're accepted so that in your P2 year hopefully you qualify for in-state tuition.
Thank you for your information. Do u mind sharing what school u are going to?

Members don't see this ad :)

Really? That's cool, I wish my school did that

OP, I think it not only depends on the school, but also how the state established it's residency laws. I know at my school, if you move from out of state, you can't get in-state tuition, because the school/state says that if you are taking 'normal class load' (12 hours, or full time), then they assume you just moved to go to school. THere are usually technicalities around things like this though.

In my case, my wife got a full time job here, so since she's now a resident, I'm her spouse so therefore, I'M a resident too, so I just have to get some paperwork in to get in-state, but definitely talk to your school's registrar office. They may be able to give you other technicalities, like dependent of a state resident, or something like that, or if you're married, go my route lol (just don't get married to go that way)

Curiousity: What school are you referring to?

Really? That's cool, I wish my school did that

OP, I think it not only depends on the school, but also how the state established it's residency laws. I know at my school, if you move from out of state, you can't get in-state tuition, because the school/state says that if you are taking 'normal class load' (12 hours, or full time), then they assume you just moved to go to school. THere are usually technicalities around things like this though.

In my case, my wife got a full time job here, so since she's now a resident, I'm her spouse so therefore, I'M a resident too, so I just have to get some paperwork in to get in-state, but definitely talk to your school's registrar office. They may be able to give you other technicalities, like dependent of a state resident, or something like that, or if you're married, go my route lol (just don't get married to go that way)

Curiousity: What school are you referring to?
Thank you. My husband will work full time, so i hope it will help with the paper work.
For out of state school, i plan to apply to university of arkansas medicine school.