1. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

How do you know when to start focusing on MCAT Review?

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by Lamegane, Aug 5, 2015.

1. Lamegane

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I don't know which cycle I should apply because right now I am focusing on my classes. But I don't wanna finish my bachelor and then lose a year for trying to get ready for med school. What do I do then? Please I need some advices. Thanks

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. ac62994

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    If you're not planning on taking a gap year, you would have to apply the end of your Junior year.
    So you would have to take the MCAT in the Spring/Summer of your Junior year, then go through the application processes during that Summer, interviews during the Fall/Spring of your Senior year, then finally matriculate the following Fall.

If I've learned anything from lurking through SDN, don't rush it; gap years are not uncommon!

BerkReviewTeach likes this.
  4. BerkReviewTeach

BerkReviewTeach Company Rep & Bad Singer
    Exhibitor 10+ Year Member

Spot on ac62994! That sums it up perfectly.

5. ElectricNoogie

ElectricNoogie MCAT enthusiast

Fellow [Any Field]
    Generally the more prepared for the MCAT you are, the better off you are applying. You don't need t o have all med school pre-reqs done to apply, but you should has as many MCAT pre-reqs done as you can. This typically occurs right around Junior year. A Spring of junior year MCAT allows you to take the exam and apply in the summer, resulting in no gap year. A spring date also allows some time should you need to re-take.

If you are ready by the end of your junior year (bio 1-2, biochem, physics 1, orgo 1, chem 1 & 2, pysch 1 at least) then go for it. If not, you don't lose much by taking an extra year. I had a gap year b/w undergrad and going to med school. I never got off the wait-list on my first try and it was due to my MCAT. I tired to take the MCAT w/o having completed Orgo 1 and 2 (this was when Orgo was ~ 25% of the exam) and so my BS score suffered. If I had planned it better, I could have graduated medical school a year early. In the long run though, it's not a big deal. The moral of the story is, better to do the MCAT once and do it right than to rush due to some pressure you feel to start ASAP.

Good luck!

6. StudyLater

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    No idea where you are in your studies, so there's kind of minimal information here. You're always going to be focusing on classes. If you don't want to be focusing on classes and going through the app process at the same time, then you're going to have to take at minimum 1 gap year. You would apply once you graduated from UG, and use the following year to continue ECs/get more clinical experience/maybe involve yourself in more research if it's needed (MD).

However, if you don't have a problem doing secondaries/interviews in the middle of your semesters (this is the common route, and therefore tons of people do it, indicating it is not extremely difficult), then apply in the summer between junior and senior year.