How do you know which schools...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Senor Hound

Just throw a pill at it!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I want to know which of the Osteopathic schools use problem-based learning. I've tried looking for the last day or so, and can only find LECOM (Erie and Bradenton), and WVSOM. Is that it?

Also, which schools only grade by a pass/fail system? I haven't been able to find this info out at all.

I did make a post about this yesterday in the pre-DO forum, but no one really answered it that had the info I wanted. So, even though this forum isn't for me, I thought I'd ask it here, cause surely people who are going to the DO schools would know...

Thanks for any answers ahead of time.

Members don't see this ad.

Even though some school say they have a pass/fail system, they do keep track of your percentage score...just they don't tell you. It's how they are able to give some of the higher scoring people a letter of recommendation from the dean.

at lecom we only had 1 class (acls) that was pass/fail.

med schools used to be pass/fail back in the day, but since then the value of class rank has gone up.

Members don't see this ad :)
KCOM is switching to strictly problem based learning next year. I don't know about pass/fail though.

NYCOM has a PBL track called the Doctor Patient Continuum, or DPC and I'm in it.

When I interviewed at KCOM, I was talking to one of the guys in the admissions office, and he told me that they were looking into making some serious changes to the curriculum soon. Perhaps this is what he was talking about.

Posted via Mobile Device

OUCOM in Athens, OH has problem based learning and a pass/fail curriculum.
I didn't do the pbl but regret not doing so. I think it's an excellent way to learn. Plus athens is gorgeous!!

I know UMDNJ-SOM has a PBL program as well. It is for students who want to do it, usually about 7 students out of the 108 per class. You still take OMM with everyone else but the PBL students get their own cadaver for anatomy.

KCOM is switching to strictly problem based learning next year. I don't know about pass/fail though.

As a 2nd year student at KCOM, all I know is that they've been talking about making big changes to the curriculum but it's been a while since I've heard specific dates. The dean was very specific to say that they are using a presentation-based model, not problem-based learning. If the original timeline is still intact, the new curriculum should be running within a couple of years.

KCOM does keep track of your percentage grade for the first 2 years, but years 3 & 4 are pass/fail.

As a 2nd year student at KCOM, all I know is that they've been talking about making big changes to the curriculum but it's been a while since I've heard specific dates. The dean was very specific to say that they are using a presentation-based model, not problem-based learning. If the original timeline is still intact, the new curriculum should be running within a couple of years.

KCOM does keep track of your percentage grade for the first 2 years, but years 3 & 4 are pass/fail.

Thats good to hear. I got nervous when an earlier poster said they were converting to PBL. Gasp!

On another note is there anywhere I can find KCOM's recent board examination stats? Specifically the 1st time pass rate?

OP: I'm not sure which DO schools use PBL.

I do have one word of caution. Don't simply choose a school because it says that it does PBL. PBL can be done very well, or very poorly. There are different "styles" of even good pbl (open vs. guided, etc) and an individual student may excel in one style but loathe another.

Talk to students. Find out if they like the school. Find out board scores (both written and clinical if you can). See the RESULTS of the schools' curriculums (curriculi?).

I can tell you that PBL at LECOM-B is awesome, and I'm VERY glad I went here. They have the 2nd highest COMLEX score nationwide. LECOM-B doesn't know who was #1...but they're #2...for whatever that's worth. Also a 99% pass rate on the clinical boards.