How do you know you are doing well in a rotation? Any advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

coralfangs

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just started my first rotation (Ob/Gyn at an academic centre).

After a week of working at the ward, I haven't been yelled at yet because all the residents are super nice to me. Though, I've missed a pimp question or two from one of the rounding attendings (some drug stuff just slipped off of my mind). Let's see... what else.... well, I haven't met my attending yet. I don't know...
I felt like I haven't done much after 3 days. I've only followed three patients from start to finish. I was literally sweating from my back when they asked me to decide the future plans for the patient during rounds and I think it was quite obvious that I was REALLY nervous. Everything I've learned from Step I seems to be gone.
You know that feeling, right?
ie. "based on the lab results this morning, do you think we should change the drug regiment"
"yes"
"well, tell us which drugs and we will put in the order for you"
then you go, "hmmm... I would give her ______ wait I would give her ___________ and ___________, wait... nvm ___________ and ____________"

The rest of the patients are just the typical follow-the-residents-and-learn type of thing. Although the feedbacks are all positive, I feel like the residents are just trying to hold my hands through my first rotation.

Question is, how do you know that you are performing well during a rotation?
You know what I'm saying? I want to honor it but I feel like I've already ****ed up a little....

Members don't see this ad.

It's July. The residents and attendibgs are going to compare you to the closest thing to you, the brand new interns, or if you're lucky, a 4th year sub I. So try to make that as favorable as possible.

As a medical student you have some nice as
advantages.

1) you are closer to step 1, so you have a good understanding of pathophysiology, perhaps more so than residents in areas other than ob.

2) you have a lot more time then the residents. Use it to read, consult ebm, and do really thorough h/ps and organize your notes better.

Ob/gyn residents were super nice to you?? Amazing!

We all think the new MS3's are pretty cute. We know you're clueless so the expectations are very low. The main thing is that you should try to be enthusiastic without being annoying. The number 1 panel here is an actual quote from a brand new MS3 we had:

http://doccartoon.blogspot.com/2010/07/stages-of-clinical-years.html

But being clueless, while normal and understandable, may not net you a fantastic eval. That's why they tell you not to do the specialty you're interested in as your first rotation.

Ask for feedback. This early I would ask after the first week, residents not the attending. At mid-rotation you can get attending feedback. They'll usually tell you if you're falling short somewhere. Usually they'll just tell you to read more or give you some tips on presenting patients.