How do you make a call to a residency you want to go to?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

asrhx4

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've seen some people on threads recommend that you call residencies that you're interested in and haven't gotten an interview from. How do you go about this? Do you just call the coordinator and ask if they're still offering interviews or do you email the PD and tell them that you're really interested? I'm sorry if this is a stupid post, but I'm just confused as to how it works.

Members don't see this ad.

I've seen some people on threads recommend that you call residencies that you're interested in and haven't gotten an interview from. How do you go about this? Do you just call the coordinator and ask if they're still offering interviews or do you email the PD and tell them that you're really interested? I'm sorry if this is a stupid post, but I'm just confused as to how it works.
Definitely email. Calling us awkward and pointless.

Reactions: 1 users
Just email the program coordinator?

Members don't see this ad :)
Ive had pretty poor responses to email... like a 20% response rate. The good thing is that the responses have all been positive...
none have come back and said you are no longer being considered, though at this point that may be preferable (couples matching, so the programs i reached out too are in cities my SO has interviews in)...

To answer your question, I would email first and maybe call a few weeks later if you hear no response.. at least that's what I'm planning on doing. email seems less invasive.

Ive had pretty poor responses to email... like a 20% response rate. The good thing is that the responses have all been positive...
none have come back and said you are no longer being considered, though at this point that may be preferable (couples matching, so the programs i reached out too are in cities my SO has interviews in)...

To answer your question, I would email first and maybe call a few weeks later if you hear no response.. at least that's what I'm planning on doing. email seems less invasive.

20% positive response rate is pretty damn good!! Your expectations seem too high. I wouldn't call after emailing. If they don't respond you can assume the answer is no.

20% positive response rate is pretty damn good!! Your expectations seem too high. I wouldn't call after emailing. If they don't respond you can assume the answer is no.

What would you have to lose by calling?

Reactions: 1 user
You personally probably wouldn't have anything to lose by calling at that point because the assumption is they've decided against interviewing you (assuming you've waited an appropriate amount of time), but considering how low yield it is, I think it's just inconsiderate of their time and how busy they are.

You personally probably wouldn't have anything to lose by calling at that point because the assumption is they've decided against interviewing you (assuming you've waited an appropriate amount of time), but considering how low yield it is, I think it's just inconsiderate of their time and how busy they are.

I get where youre coming from, but at the same time, applicants are also trying to make major plans (esp if they are couples matching) and so if its a program you are truly interested in (like top 3) I think it is fair game to give them a call. whether it works or not is an entirely different question

i called the PC and said " Hi! How are you? My name is and I am am 4th year student applying to IM and I am very interested in your program but unfortunately I have not heard anything from your program"…and generally the PCs were nice…some said, we are still reviewing applications and will get back to you when we have reviewed your application…others said, well let me look at your application" and would and after looking, they some said that they would forward it to the PD or put it in the pile to be reviewed or say…oh! we were going to send out an invite (and i was able to schedule the interview with them then) and a couple said, sorry, we are not offering you an interview (at least I was able to cross them off the list)….it can be tedious but can have some yield…i would say i managed to get 4, maybe 5 extra interviews this way…would they have sent regardless of calling? maybe…

and for those that said we are still reviewing…i would ask when would be a good time to call back to check on the status of my application…don't be pushy about it but sincere and i think most people respond to that.

I emailed 4 programs and got invites from 2 of them the next day. The other 2 I haven't heard from but they of course are well into their interview season. These 2 programs (that I haven't heard from) are not high-tier by any means, and its possible that they don't think I would seriously come there. It's too bad, because I honestly would rank them in the middle of the pack and not keep them as safeties, but there's no way for me to communicate that to them.