How do you make time for ExtraCurriculars and Leadership positions? Does it matter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

manohman

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
M1 here seeing a lot of my classmates getting involved in leadership positions with clubs on campus.

Between classes, research, and sleeping, it seems hard to add on another thing. How important are ECs and Leadership? Does it matter?

Members don't see this ad.

Let me direct you to this thread:

I make time by neglecting responsibilities like doing my laundry

(jk but only a little)

Members don't see this ad :)
M1 here seeing a lot of my classmates getting involved in leadership positions with clubs on campus.

Between classes, research, and sleeping, it seems hard to add on another thing. How important are ECs and Leadership? Does it matter?
ECs are generally not important. If you plan on going to super competitive fields like surgical subspecialities or derm, productive research/ pubmed profile is probably the only EC you need. If you come from a low tier med school and plan on going into top tier institutions within non-competitive fields like IM or Peds, unique ECs in addition to solid academic performance/board scores/AOA can help distinguish you from the pack. If you are coming from an upper tier med school, you don't need any ECs other than research.

Reactions: 1 users
It matters OP you need to do at least something outside of school but in general scores/ AOA/ research > ECs

By doing things that actually matter regarding your happiness and growth and not just to pad a resume or a CV.