How do you manage a community pharmacy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bashaut

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
HI,

I need some inputs from current pharmacists or pharmacy students about how would I manage a community pharmacy?
It's for an interview questions.

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

HI,

I need some inputs from current pharmacists or pharmacy students about how would I manage a community pharmacy?
It's for an interview questions.

Thank you
I manage mine very well. I would assume most others manage their pharmacies this way too.

Caverject's post aside.....its hard to manage a retail pharmacy if you're an independent. That's a very complicated, difficult & vastly changing area of ambulatory pharmacy.

If you're a managing one pharmacy in a large corporation, that is usually pretty easy. Everything is written - you have clear policies & procedures to follow, the corporation will set the lead for expanded services (ie collaborative practice agreements), you have budgetary boundaries the corporation will set as goals or parameters & your outcome measurement will be on either service results &/or rx count - unfortunately. Your basic PIC - pretty easy stuff.

In both circumstances...you have employee issues. It becomes a fine line to walk between "telling" someone what to do all the time (thus not allowing either their or your independent thought & action to develop) and "allowing" them the freedom to participate in as many aspects of the business as possible - thus giving the business a cohesive approach to all pts whether you're there or not there & allowing those employees to grow....and this applies to all the employees - from the clerks to the staff pharmacists.

If this is for an interview.....you'd want to familiarize yourself with the expanded areas of practice within community pharmacy - that's what they're looking for in addition to leadership qualities. (Those schools that crank out retail pharmacists - they want to hear that you're interested in different business models too....)

Members don't see this ad :)
delegate and empower your staff