How do you pay for health insurance in grad school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MasterOf.Science.

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is the right form, but since I'll be doing a masters in counseling, I thought I could ask it here? Let me know if there's a more appropriate form.

I'm 22, starting grad school, and losing health insurance because I'm moving to a different state for school. I was on KS medicaid because I aged out of the foster care system, but that insurance does not transfer to other states. The state I'm moving to doesn't give medicaid to anyone unless they have children or are disabled.

The cheapest plan I could find through Obamacare is 3K a year. This is when I put my income in as 0.

How do you guys pay for insurance?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not sure if this is the right form, but since I'll be doing a masters in counseling, I thought I could ask it here? Let me know if there's a more appropriate form.

I'm 22, starting grad school, and losing health insurance because I'm moving to a different state for school. I was on KS medicaid because I aged out of the foster care system, but that insurance does not transfer to other states. The state I'm moving to doesn't give medicaid to anyone unless they have children or are disabled.

The cheapest plan I could find through Obamacare is 3K a year. This is when I put my income in as 0.

How do you guys pay for insurance?
You should be eligible for a grad student insurance plan through your university.

Get grad student insurance and use your university's student health service for minor care needs (hopefully they have one).

Members don't see this ad :)
Get grad student insurance and use your university's student health service for minor care needs (hopefully they have one).

This is what I did. The grad student insurance isn't always that great (although it sometimes can be), so if you need additional coverage, shopping online and/or through the healthcare market place may be an option.

And yes, if your university has a clinic, go with that for minor things (as MamaPhD said). The appointment itself is often free for students.

Being a Veteran, I get insurance through the VA. Which is nice.

Reactions: 1 user
Student health service as i remember well, even if it wasn't so long ago, i have a gap about this part of my student life!

Student health service as i remember well, even if it wasn't so long ago, i have a gap about this part of my student life!
I got insurance in January that lasts until July through my university. It was still $2,000. x.x And that's not even for a whole year.