How do you pay for the extras?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sistermike

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok while in undergrad, how is everyone paying for the extra stuff they need? How are you guys paying for your car insurance, gas, school materials? Are your parents sending money, do you have a part time job, etc?? I don't plan to get a job next year when I enter undergrad so I focus on pre-med studies, but then again I dunno how I am going to pay for my car! Any help would be appreciated.. thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I think working as an undergrad is perfectly acceptable. Since not all parents can afford or are willing to send money to their kids, the reality is that many have to hold down jobs. If the sole reason you don't want to work is because you want to focus on your pre-med classes, that might be a bit ridiculous. A work-study type of job which will pay you enough to eek out an existence can take up only 8-10 hours of your week. That still leaves PLENTY of time for studying. My advice: work if you need to, but either way, plan to spend some time interacting with friends, attending events, and just relaxing. College should never be about doing nothing except studying no matter what you plan to do after. As long as you use your time effectively (the ultimate balancing act), you'll get into med school and not regret spending 4 years in the library.

Members don't see this ad :)
its called federal unsub loans and about 15 hours a week in work

I was a biochem major and art minor, and I worked about 25-30 hours a week while in undergrad. As a pre-med, I also did volunteer work. I didn't need to work so much, but I wanted to--to be able to afford trips, coffee with friends, etc, on top of rent, groceries, car insurance and gas. The work also kept down the amount of money I had to repay at the end of undergrad. And the work didn't effect my GPA at all, which I know is a big concern for pre-meds--I graduated with a cumulative 3.98 and a pretty decent MCAT score. Actually, I think working gave me a time crunch that made my studying more productive (and you'll hear many students say that their grades went up when they started working).

My advice is to take it slow your first year, though. I started working about 5 hours a week my first semester as a freshman, upped it to 10 the second semester, and then up to 25-30 as a sophomore. You need to figure out what amount of work you can handle, and that first semester is a challenging one academically. You'll know what works best for you. Also, since you have a car, try to find a job that pays good money. I found one that paid $12/hour off campus, but on-campus jobs usually don't pay more than $6/hour. If you can find a medically-related job, that's good for your med school applications, too. (try looking at secretarial jobs on in-patient floors in hospitals. They often let you work one or two days a week, or four hours in the evening, with flexible hours, and the pay is decent.)

Good luck!

I grade math papers and get paid for 10 hours a week no matter how long it takes me to finsh (usually about 2 hours) :D

And I have large credit card bills...

worked 5-10 hrs/week, parents helped, and didn't have a car.

Full time job, skip out for lunch to class when I can, lots of evening and weekend studying! Finally took the MCAT and plan on taking the summer "off".

You just can't be allergic to debt for this process!

Stafford (goverment) loans are helpful. You need a job though. It's the only way you can balance life, especially through school. Get a job. Study on the weekends and at night. Get a job.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by sistermike:
•Ok while in undergrad, how is everyone paying for the extra stuff they need? How are you guys paying for your car insurance, gas, school materials? Are your parents sending money, do you have a part time job, etc?? I don't plan to get a job next year when I enter undergrad so I focus on pre-med studies, but then again I dunno how I am going to pay for my car! Any help would be appreciated.. thanks!•••••3 jobs most of my 4 years..sometimes 4. I'm graduating now. This semester, with the MCAT, only worked 1. Glad that I had alot of money saved up from all those years of hard work! :) I think that if you are dedicated, you should still be able to work, volunteer, do research, kick butt in schoool, and have a great time while doing it :)

cheers