MD & DO How do you perform an "adult wellness" evaluation (aka an "annual physical")?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cbrons

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Did you ever ask yourself:

* What information am I supposed to gather when I'm assigned to do a "physical" on a patient?
* What cancer screening tests are important in each age group?
* What lab tests do you run in healthy people during their so-called "annual physical"?
* Who needs to be screening regularly for diabetes and how often?
* Who needs to be screened regularly for STDs and how often (and with what specific tests)?
* What should I be recommending to patients for primary prevention?
* Who needs to be taking aspirin for primary prevention?

If you've wondered these things, then see the .pdf attached to this thread. It's something I worked on over the course of several months while several medicine sub-internships during my M4 year.

Of course, I would love if anyone has any clarifications or corrections to submit. That is part of the reason I'm posting this here.

Here is the preoperative history and physical thread.

=============================================================================

Updated 7-1-2017

• Corrected STD screening indications
  • Updated indications for dyslipidemia screening based on AACE 2017 recommendations, starting fasting lipid screening for dyslipidemia in persons 20 years old then every 5 years thereafter.

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• Adult Wellness Exam.pdf
    532.9 KB · Views: 384
Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 5 users

* What information am I supposed to gather when I'm assigned to do a "physical" on a patient?
* What lab tests do you run in healthy people during their so-called "annual physical"?
* Who needs to be screened regularly for STDs and how often (and with what specific tests)?

If you've wondered these things, then see the .pdf attached to this thread. It's something I worked on over the course of several months while several medicine sub-internships during my M4 year.

Of course, I would love if anyone has any clarifications or corrections to submit. That is part of the reason I'm posting this here.

Here is the preoperative clearance evaluation.

This looks pretty good, thanks.

Reactions: 1 user

Good stuff, well organized. Only thing I saw was that pap smears were listed for 18+, but ACOG and USPSTF both recommend starting at 21.

Members don't see this ad :)
Good stuff, well organized. Only thing I saw was that pap smears were listed for 18+, but ACOG and USPSTF both recommend starting at 21.
I think it more depends on when they begin sexual activity.

I'd also like to ask physicians like what they think about this document, if they have time. I think it could be helpful for new M3s on Family medicine or outpatient IM.

@VA Hopeful Dr @Blue Dog

I think it more depends on when they begin sexual activity.

I'd also like to ask physicians like what they think about this document, if they have time. I think it could be helpful for new M3s on Family medicine or outpatient IM.

@VA Hopeful Dr @Blue Dog

Ye olde guidelines recommended paps at either 21 or initiation of sexual activity, but the current guidelines recommend beginning at 21 regardless of when people start having sex.

FP and ob/gyn docs in the community can ignore the guidelines if they want, but if a shelf exam asks you if a sexually active 19 year old needs a pap smear there is a very clear right and wrong answer.

Reactions: 2 users
Ye olde guidelines recommended paps at either 21 or initiation of sexual activity, but the current guidelines recommend beginning at 21 regardless of when people start having sex.

FP and ob/gyn docs in the community can ignore the guidelines if they want, but if a shelf exam asks you if a sexually active 19 year old needs a pap smear there is a very clear right and wrong answer.
I checked up on this and you are correct. I updated the document and put in the ACOG guidelines. It is now in the OP for download.

Reactions: 1 users

Correct, the answer is age 21.

You are right, I fixed it. THank you

You just graduated with an MD Degree! Congratulations!

Your humility and passion for helping others will be very powerful instruments. May we be blessed with many more physicians like you.

Godspeed

Reactions: 1 users
My FM rotation site distinguished between "Annual Wellness Visit" and "Physical" based on patient insurance. AWV had more screening questions and physical emphasized the exam more. Is that the norm?

My FM rotation site distinguished between "Annual Wellness Visit" and "Physical" based on patient insurance. AWV had more screening questions and physical emphasized the exam more. Is that the norm?
Pretty much, although the evidence behind a yearly physical is pretty bad so most of us are moving away from it.

Screen for depression?

Here is the preoperative history and physical thread.
I just uploaded the recent version.

When guidelines contradict, which ones does the NBME look for? I have FM clerkship exam coming up and was told to go off of USPSTF?

Are there any efficient and comprehensive templates (oxymoron I know) for Medicare Annual Wellness Visits or Advanced Care Planning that anyone has come across and would be willing to share?

Thanks for the sarcasm.

I'm aware of that one but wanted to see if anyone had come across something better, as well as an HRA tool.