How do you pronounce Weill?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kwanny

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. I have an interview at Weill on Wednesday, so I just wanted to make sure that i pronounce it correctly. Is it pronounced like "whale" or like "while?" Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

i have always said it like "wheel"

the "ei"

Some people pronounce the ei in "neither" as a long e....others liek a long I. I suppose it comes down to the same thing in choosing "wheel" or "while"

Oh, I thought it would be like "Veil" like the veil Citigroup put on accurate investment information and has yet to be prosecuted for by the business-friendly Bush administration. Im surprised Enron wasnt let go too by our currently wussy SEC.

Oh wait, this isnt the Everyone forum. :p

Members don't see this ad :)
you know Weill. simple as that. actually call there office with some bs ? [don't id yourself] and see how they say it when they answer their phone.

I think its Viel, cuz its probably german in origin.

It's pronounced like the word "while." I only know this because my Psych 101 lectures are being taped and sent to the premedical students at the Weill Medical College in Qatar, and the professor has spoken the name of the college many times. He has regular "virtual meetings" with the deans and the students, so I doubt that he would be pronouncing the name incorrectly.

Just say "Cornell" until you hear a staff there say "Weill" correctly

Originally posted by Gleevec
Oh, I thought it would be like "Veil" like the veil Citigroup put on accurate investment information and has yet to be prosecuted for by the business-friendly Bush administration. Im surprised Enron wasnt let go too by our currently wussy SEC.

Oh wait, this isnt the Everyone forum. :p

:clap: Ha ha, good one!

Originally posted by calebho501
Just say "Cornell" until you hear a staff there say "Weill" correctly

I bust out the phonetics book and you bust out common sense.
good idea :)

I pronounce it "school I haven't heard anything from since I sent them my money two months ago.":p

"While".

Sandy Weill was a big wheel on wall street and it's his name on the door now.

German name, so the ei uses the second vowel's sound (ok, I took German in high school :D )

It's true. It's pronounced "while." How's that for being late to the party?

Members don't see this ad :)
wheel

while

vail

vile

.....lets call the whole thing off

;)

Call the med school after hours. Listen to the recording...

Until then it's pronounced like "Veil"

Originally posted by Paws
Sandy Weill was a big wheel on wall street

Was? What are you smoking? Ever heard of a small shop named Citigroup?

Originally posted by Tezzie
Call the med school after hours. Listen to the recording...

Until then it's pronounced like "Veil"

Huh? I work in finance. I promise. It's pronounced "while."

I can't believe this thread is still going...

WHILE... thats how the MD/PhD staff pronounces it.

Originally posted by vixenell
WHILE... thats how the MD/PhD staff pronounces it.

Gosh I can't believe this thread is still going on. What's wrong with calling the school "Cornell"?

It's like UCLA...It doesn't matter if you call it UCLA or Geffen. Also like U of Chicago, you can call it U of Chicago or Pritzker. You're not gonna be rejected b/c you're not linguistically-talented.

I pronounce Weill "Peice of crap school who has no problem taking my money but won't give me the time of day otherwise". Ok, maybe my pronounciation has a little bit of a bitter accent on it :p :p :p :p

no doubt about it, it sounds like WHILE. I used to work for Travelers, and this guy stole the big red umbrella from us. SERIOUSLY.

Jay

This is the thread that never ends . . .

I live in NY and I heard a commercial on the radio this morning and it was pronounced "while".

I too thought it was more like veil. Oh well. :)