How do you re-use letters of recommendation for medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

along59

Reaction score
I am considering reapplying for medical school if I do not get in this cycle. The only thing that is concerning me are the letters of recommendation. I would like to reuse them, I just do not know how I would go about doing that when I fill out my next application. Do I need to reconnect with those who initially wrote a letter and ask them to write another one. I feel bad doing that. Should I ask them to save their initial letter and say, "save this in case I have to reapply"? This also makes it looks like I am not serious about my current application.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I am considering reapplying for medical school if I do not get in this cycle. The only thing that is concerning me are the letters of recommendation. I would like to reuse them, I just do not know how I would go about doing that when I fill out my next application. Do I need to reconnect with those who initially wrote a letter and ask them to write another one. I feel bad doing that. Should I ask them to save their initial letter and say, "save this in case I have to reapply"? This also makes it looks like I am not serious about my current application.
If you find that you need to reapply, contact your recommenders to tell them about your year ("I applied this year and interviewed at 2 medical schools, but in the end had no acceptances. I am determined to try again etc. etc.") and ask them to help you out by re-submitting their letter with a current date & signature on it. Most will be happy to do this. Wait until the portals for next year's apps are about to open up.

Interfolio is also great. That’s what I used as a reapplicant this year. It basically keeps your LOR safe for you in a portal and won’t delete them. It is $40/year tho. It keeps them confidential so you as the applicant can’t see them. Schools will let you reuse them as long as the letters are within the past year.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I reapplied with the same letters as the previous year, and was successful (my school submitted a LOR packet, so I just contacted my premed office rather than each individual letter writer). However, if this isn't an option, then you'll need to contact each individual letter writer to resubmit.

Kevin W, MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

Is it actually needed to update the dates on the letters? Uh oh

Is it actually needed to update the dates on the letters? Uh oh
I think it depends on what you've actually changed. If you don't improve on your weaknesses, then an immediate re-app may not be fruitful. But if you've added things like meaningful volunteering, research, clinical exposure, etc. then you should update your letter writers so they hopefully highlight your strengths