1. Visit this thread to beta-test StudySchedule.org. StudySchedule is a free nonprofit site that builds dynamic MCAT study schedules unique for your needs and timeline.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Check out the new Application Assistant, where you can calculate your LizzyM score, see how you rank compared to other applicants, and see a list of schools where similar students were accepted.

how do you reduce a benzene ring to a cyclohexane?

Discussion in 'MCAT Study Question Q&A' started by BoneMental, May 20, 2011.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. BoneMental

BoneMental

Pre-Medical
    Is it possible to do? What are the various ways?

Can't you use Pt/H2? Or Ni/H2? I tried looking this up on google and all I got was some weird forum in Britain....

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. malpractician

malpractician 5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    yes, it's called hydrogenation. Just about any Ochem textbook should have clear examples on this.

Pt/h2 and Pd/h2 are the common ones, there's others like Lindlar that take triple bonds to double bonds.

4. BoneMental

BoneMental

Pre-Medical

Thanks dude! I thought so, but I just wanted to make sure.

5. Cool Beans

Cool Beans 5+ Year Member

Be careful on this one. If you simply add H2/Pt like with an alkene, benzene doesn't react due to its stability (since it's aromatic). The rxn still needs a catalyst (Pt, Pd, Ni, etc.) but only works if the pressure of H2 is really high (like 1500 psi).

6. dreamer67

dreamer67 2+ Year Member

you use H2 Rh/C catalyst. I don't believe you need to know this for the MCAT though. Aromatics are no longer an official AAMC topic

About the ads