How do you remember what you read?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sixpence

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
In my English class we are reading a lot, obviously. Some shorts stories, some novels maybe about 50 pages per class period. Anyhow when we have discussions or in class essays (closed book) I can't remember a lot of the stuff I ready... I try to read spark notes or any summaries online to refresh my memory and take notes but it is somewhat time consuming. I also put off reading until the day before the class which I don't know if that helps it stay fresh on my mind... Any suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

Some people just remember better than others. It's simply down to how you set up your recall system. I tend to associate patterns. I can still recall a set of 4 numbers (vitals, to be exact) from work, despite only having heard them once and written it down on a sheet of paper which I promptly lost.

Simply start with a word, and build from that. I've built pretty big bridges simply using word association. It also helps to imagine an entire scene and build from the scene.

Members don't see this ad :)
Try to be more active. After every chapter ask yourself: what did I just read? If after just reading it you can't remember, then you're not paying attention while you read so you need to focus on that. If you can remember, great! That's the first step. It'll slow you down at first but after a while it'll make you be more efficient. Good luck!

I have this problem too. For me though, it's related to English not being my first language. Sometimes I remember squat and others I remember vividly. What I do is I try and close my mind when I'm reading in silence. Or if I can I try to read out loud as it helps me retain information. By out loud I mean, wisper to myself.

Some people just remember better than others. It's simply down to how you set up your recall system. I tend to associate patterns. I can still recall a set of 4 numbers (vitals, to be exact) from work, despite only having heard them once and written it down on a sheet of paper which I promptly lost.

Simply start with a word, and build from that. I've built pretty big bridges simply using word association. It also helps to imagine an entire scene and build from the scene.

good advice :thumbup:

I dont know how but i just remember all the stories that i read. I was taking english class, every week we had to read 400 page detective novel... Enjoyed that class alot ;)