How do you remind yourself what your end goal is (Getting into med school wise)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Monkey.King

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
When I was in Highschool, I visited this site everyday to constantly remind myself of what I want to do. Now that I'm in college, I don't really have those thoughts as much. I would still say that being a doctor of some type of specialty interests me the most as a career. I'm currently only taking one health related class this semester, and I enjoy it the most and is currently the class I'm doing the best in.

However I'm finding it hard to keep that same focus with pretty much every other class. I'm still doing well in my other classes, but nowhere near the best of my ability. I'm just finding it hard to keep in mind that all my classes are equally important when it comes to my GPA, which will greatly help me in getting my foot through the door. I don't give my assignments my all and just have a "As long as I don't do poorly, I'm good" attitude. I don't even look at the rubric. Its more of in the moment when it comes to those classes, med school is the farthest thing from my mind.

That's my problem specefically. How do you all keep your end goal in mind just when it comes to life in general? Like when it comes to going out with your friends vs studying. Do you have to find ways to keep focus or is med school always on your mind as a natural reminder in everything you do?

Sorry if I didn't explain what I'm trying to ask properly.

Members don't see this ad.

Get a crappy retail job, nothing motivates you to work hard like making minimum wage and getting treated like s*** by customers.

Reactions: 16 users
I've tried to work various factory jobs in ammunition factories. I've also shadowed an ammunitions and heavy dense objects engineer and it's really kept my excitement up for when I start led school. In all seriousness, I think you have a typo in your title (lead school*).

Edit: I realize this comment makes no sense now that op corrected "led" to "med".

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Get a crappy retail job, nothing motivates you to work hard like making minimum wage and getting treated like s*** by customers.
You mean like a cashier, or sales person? Not all retail jobs are created equal.

You mean like a cashier, or sales person? Not all retail jobs are created equal.

I was a cashier at a certain home improvement store. Literally got screamed at until I cried on multiple occasions.

Been there done that. Never want to go back :(. You just reminded me of how miserable I was working at Golden Corral for 2 years. Not only do you get treated badly by customers, but management doesn't give a crap about you either. They have your replacement ready before you even decide to quit

Reactions: 1 user
When I was in Highschool, I visited this site everyday to constantly remind myself of what I want to do. Now that I'm in college, I don't really have those thoughts as much. I would still say that being a doctor of some type of specialty interests me the most as a career. I'm currently only taking one health related class this semester, and I enjoy it the most and is currently the class I'm doing the best in.

However I'm finding it hard to keep that same focus with pretty much every other class. I'm still doing well in my other classes, but nowhere near the best of my ability. I'm just finding it hard to keep in mind that all my classes are equally important when it comes to my GPA, which will greatly help me in getting my foot through the door. I don't give my assignments my all and just have a "As long as I don't do poorly, I'm good" attitude. I don't even look at the rubric. Its more of in the moment when it comes to those classes, med school is the farthest thing from my mind.

That's my problem specefically. How do you all keep your end goal in mind just when it comes to life in general? Like when it comes to going out with your friends vs studying. Do you have to find ways to keep focus or is med school always on your mind as a natural reminder in everything you do?

It's all about the patients. Have as much exposure with them as possible.

And the end goal is NOT getting into med school...it's becoming a doctor. The two are not the same thing.

Med school is part of that pathway.

Reactions: 8 users
I was a pizza delivery guy in college and also to this day do professional photography on the side. People ask me if I do it full time, and then are surprised when I tell them I'm a resident.

Also, I wish more pre-meds on SDN reminded themselves of their end goal. Make it to medical school and become a physician. Don't go trying to become the world's greatest scribe, EMT, CNA, phlebotomist, or other random entry-level clinical position that has nothing to do with being a doctor.

Its more of in the moment when it comes to those classes, med school is the farthest thing from my mind.

just wanted to address these 2 lines specifically in a way that i didnt see addressed yet. coming here since high school and then transitioning into a university encompasses huge changes for you as an individual. not to say that you should "give up" on anything, but i think its a good idea for you to allow yourself to be opened up to your current experience and to go where it takes you.

having had the aspiration for so long, you could be burned out on the idea of med school before even finishing your current course of study. it could be that something else, something totally different might spark you the way you felt sparked before and that could be what you end up pursuing.

one thing ive learned about achieving goals from my long (long, long) road is that the goal post always moves in life. you can keep your end goal in mind, achieve it, but then there is another one around the corner! especially as you change/grow as an individual. i try to focus on short term, achievable things in order to stay the current course...ie getting into med school -> passing step 1 -> stellar ward performance -> passing step 2 -> matching...etc etc...medicine has come to be an even longer path than i first imagined and if someone had told me about allllll the boxes i had to check to even be 3/4 there, i may have strongly reconsidered. i started out undergrad wanting to be a biomedical engineer. lol imagine that. i think that now is a great time for you to feel your new self out. see who you are now and how who you are fits into what you want. if its still medicine, cool, keep going, work hard, set small goals. if its not, its best that you find out sooner rather than later.

I was a pizza delivery guy in college and also to this day do professional photography on the side. People ask me if I do it full time, and then are surprised when I tell them I'm a resident.

Also, I wish more pre-meds on SDN reminded themselves of their end goal. Make it to medical school and become a physician. Don't go trying to become the world's greatest scribe, EMT, CNA, phlebotomist, or other random entry-level clinical position that has nothing to do with being a doctor.

I get what you're saying but I don't think there's anything wrong with trying to excel in your current positions. I've maintained a lot of jobs throughout my undergrad years but just because it has nothing with being a doctor doesn't mean I didn't work my ass off to be the best whatever-it-was in the building. Building a good sense of work ethic and pride in your work no matter what your job is will undoubtedly leave you a better person when you get to your end goal.

Reactions: 1 users
I get what you're saying but I don't think there's anything wrong with trying to excel in your current positions. I've maintained a lot of jobs throughout my undergrad years but just because it has nothing with being a doctor doesn't mean I didn't work my ass off to be the best whatever-it-was in the building. Building a good sense of work ethic and pride in your work no matter what your job is will undoubtedly leave you a better person when you get to your end goal.

I see what you're saying. I probably worded this in a weird way. I meant to say that pre-meds spend way too much time doing entry-level clinical jobs, which can ultimately hurt them in the long-run. They shouldn't do them in the first place. I know numerous people that destroyed their chances of getting into medical school because they bit off way more than they could chew. I wrote about that in my last long post.

No matter what anyone does though, they should always put forth full effort and never half-ass anything.

Agree with everything said so far. If you're gonna sweep floors, be the best darn floor sweeper you can be.

Being an uber driver also refocuses me on school. Nothing like drunk customers acting like it's a character flaw that your car is too old to have wireless streaming to make you think about that better life.

Medical volunteering always kept me going, because I would always see the doctors and thought to myself, “I want to get there some day.”

Members don't see this ad :)
It's all about the patients. Have as much exposure with them as possible.

And the end goal is NOT getting into med school...it's becoming a doctor. The two are not the same thing.

Med school is part of that pathway.
Phucking this.

All of it.

Meet the people, interact with them, find something that makes you feel good.

Med school is simply the next step. Embrace all that you do, it will impact you.

Getting in my very basic "sports" car at the end of the day is cool. But the thing that drives me day to day is the fear of not being good enough to fix my patients and the overwhelming joy when someone finally takes a turn for the better.

Volunteer, help people. Get that good feeling in the pit of your stomach and multiply that by a million when you discharge a guy that you were certain was going to die.

Reactions: 2 users
Yeah, volunteering helps me too. Trying to help patients in whatever way I can find reminds me that it matters that I get to a place where I can help them for real.

Reading medical papers about emerging treatments and problems in care that really matter to me keeps me going the most though honestly.

However, if you're committed to this path, stop looking for a magic motivation pill and just do it. As a wise woman once told me, we Americans place far too much importance on our feelings. Doing your duty is ultimately more rewarding.

You already identified one major problem with your behavior: you're not even bothering to read the syllabus and plan out your path to an A. Start with that. Just figure out what you need to do in order to make getting an A in every class the only realistic possibility and then just do it. Or switch career paths. It's up to you.

Having a job you hate but can easily see yourself in is a very powerful motivator. I was on a fast track to being a senior NCO, which for some people is a great career. But I would have been miserable. It was great motivation every time I wanted to blow off a test or a paper or something.

Agree with everything said so far. If you're gonna sweep floors, be the best darn floor sweeper you can be.

Being an uber driver also refocuses me on school. Nothing like drunk customers acting like it's a character flaw that your car is too old to have wireless streaming to make you think about that better life.
100% agreed. Nothing whipped me back into line than seeing a bunch of super wasted people climbing in and on the brink of vomiting saying lewd things about women they had encounters with in that particular nightclub/bar #Sh*tUberDriversSeeAndHear

I see what you're saying. I probably worded this in a weird way. I meant to say that pre-meds spend way too much time doing entry-level clinical jobs, which can ultimately hurt them in the long-run. They shouldn't do them in the first place. I know numerous people that destroyed their chances of getting into medical school because they bit off way more than they could chew. I wrote about that in my last long post.

No matter what anyone does though, they should always put forth full effort and never half-ass anything.
Why are you on a crusade against this? Ever since your wall of text, every time you contribute to a thread has this same spiel over and over and over again. Working an "entry-level clinical job" and being damn good at it will not only teach you worlds about being a physician but also help you network and get into a position to do all the other things needed to get into med school.

I found personally that my entry-level clinical jobs, especially the full time one where I got to know the patients well, was everything I needed to keep myself focused. It was an amazing experience and I loved my work, and it reminded me that there was a real tangible thing beyond all the crap of applications. Putting forth the effort to learn the medicine that was being practiced and networking to find cool shadowing opportunities was a huge plus. It may not be for everyone, as Planes2Doc says, but I'd argue that for some it is really rewarding and enriching.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

I found personally that my entry-level clinical jobs, especially the full time one where I got to know the patients well, was everything I needed to keep myself focused. It was an amazing experience and I loved my work, and it reminded me that there was a real tangible thing beyond all the crap of applications. Putting forth the effort to learn the medicine that was being practiced and networking to find cool shadowing opportunities was a huge plus. It may not be for everyone, as Planes2Doc says, but I'd argue that for some it is really rewarding and enriching.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

I have to agree with this post. Many of the people in this thread have pointed that working directly with patients is an excellent way to remind you why your want to be in this profession. Burn out is a real thing. Keeping healthy physically, emotionally, and mentally are equally important. I know that working as a phlebotomist during my gap time helped me stay focused on where I wanted to go. Plus, it was a refresh from a pretty intense senior year.

To echo a previous poster though, it also helped remind me that working a low-entry (and low paying) position is not where I want to stay.

I think that @Planes2Doc does make valid points about not getting lost on the path to going to medical school. He (she?) is right that those experiences are only part of the journey and shouldn't detract from your focus. I would argue, however, that they are personally enriching. I got to know patients who genuinely appreciated what I was doing for them. I also was able to see our healthcare systems. Insurance and billing (a nightmare), importance of good communication and teamwork, and good teamwork.

As a side note, I wonder if our politicians wouldn't benefit from spending a week in these healthcare systems to see how their changes would affect vulnerable patients. That's not necessarily to support one side or the other. But I feel like the human portion of medicine gets lost in policy discussions.

I have to agree with this post. Many of the people in this thread have pointed that working directly with patients is an excellent way to remind you why your want to be in this profession. Burn out is a real thing. Keeping healthy physically, emotionally, and mentally are equally important. I know that working as a phlebotomist during my gap time helped me stay focused on where I wanted to go. Plus, it was a refresh from a pretty intense senior year.

To echo a previous poster though, it also helped remind me that working a low-entry (and low paying) position is not where I want to stay.

I think that @Planes2Doc does make valid points about not getting lost on the path to going to medical school. He (she?) is right that those experiences are only part of the journey and shouldn't detract from your focus. I would argue, however, that they are personally enriching. I got to know patients who genuinely appreciated what I was doing for them. I also was able to see our healthcare systems. Insurance and billing (a nightmare), importance of good communication and teamwork, and good teamwork.

As a side note, I wonder if our politicians wouldn't benefit from spending a week in these healthcare systems to see how their changes would affect vulnerable patients. That's not necessarily to support one side or the other. But I feel like the human portion of medicine gets lost in policy discussions.
I agree with what you're saying, but also what @Planes2Doc is emphasizing. And that is that although these entry level clinical jobs may have tons of benefits, don't go overboard with them and make sure to maintain a balance. Don't have the job cut into your study time when you're in school and don't throw away multiple years working a full time entry level job when you should be focusing on fixing more important parts of your application and actually getting into med school if your end goal is to become a physician.

Becoming a great clinician does not in any way require experience one would gain from an entry level clinical job, and most of those skills will never again come into use.

We should end this discussion on entry level jobs here since it has nothing to do with OPs original inquiry.

As others have mentioned, patient interaction is a huge motivator.

Another one that motivated me even more was shadowing. Observing the unique patient-physician relationship, daily life and challenging decisions that need to be made ALL the time was an amazing experience. That was when I actually had the moment of: "I can't see myself doing anything else".

We can't answer this one you have to figure it out yourself. In medicine, there's a difference between treating the patient and treating the condition. Treating the condition may not accomplish anything the patient knows what's wrong with them, so that's why healthcare professionals treat patients from a holistic approach. Use your school's counseling and psychological services (CAPS) and maybe they can help you with this because you can be more comprehensive about yourself with them than us. Like any other healthcare, they are bound by HIPAA. The only way a third party sees it is the rare cases where they think you are an immediate harm to yourself or others, in which case they notify the police. The more common case is you are dealing with an intern/graduate student and they tape your session for their supervisor to review it for training purposes, then destroy it. You must authorize this, however.

Just my $0.02. To OP's original question, it is PERFECTLY OK if you find and pursue interests other than medicine, hang out with non-premed friends instead of studying (just don't do that 24/7), or focus on classes that aren't related to medicine in any way. It's actually much, much better if you do those things. We only go to college once. College should be among the most fun and inspiring years of our lives. We go to college to learn how to be people. Not so we can go to med school. There's no "end goal." You will not magically become a happy person once you get into med school, get residency, become an attending, etc. No. Far from it.
The world is large. You absolutely DO NOT have to become a doctor to have a successful, happy, and fulfilling life. Life is short. Enjoy your golden years while you can. Go LIVE A LIFE. That doesn't mean do whatever you want, but do not let your hopes of the future distract you from the here and now.

I've always enjoyed the hospital setting and I think it would be a waste of my life not to do something beneficial to the world.

I decided to go shadow my cousin who was in his 2nd year out of law school. The sticker shock got me. At that age he was making about $100,000 MORE than what I would be making at his age if I went to med school (since Id be an intern).

Good god almighty I left that day and went straight back to studying for the MCAT. Its not even so much that medicine is amazing (although its pretty great)...the real world is just awful.