How do you respond to interviewers asking you if you've interviewed at other schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

boltedbicorne

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
and the interviewer wants to discuss those other schools? It's a pretty easy trap question, could I just say something like "I've interviewed at several different schools, but I'd like to focus on discussing this school, as it's one of my top choices"? Criticizing any other medical school or sounding too enthusiastic about them is a way too easy trap to fall into. I'm also traveling to this particular school to discuss it, not other schools. How would you handle this question?

Members don't see this ad.

I plan to handle it in the same way. Schools should understand the competition does not allow applicants to put all of their eggs in one basket and that if someone takes the time/money to go to a school interview that the applicant is sincere in their potential interest.

Reactions: 2 users
I was already asked this question, and I said that I refuse to put all my eggs in one basket (yes, I said it just like that).

I then told the interviewer that I'm sure he would do the same. Anyone know the purpose of this question?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I was already asked this question, and I said that I refuse to put all my eggs in one basket (yes, I said it just like that).

I then told the interviewer that I'm sure he would do the same. Anyone know the purpose of this question?

probably trying to get those being interviewed to trip themselves by voicing a lot of passion in another school and see your true motivations for coming to this school today.

My guess...

If you're a borderline applicant: 'Do other schools think (s)he's worthy of interviewing too?'
If you're a top applicant and this is lower-tier school: 'How serious is (s)he about this school?'

Or just plain curiosity with no motive.

I'm here because I'm interested at xyz program your school offers and think id be a good fit for your school. The application period is a long process and I'm taking everything step by step. Where ever I end up, I will make the most of it.

It's not a trap question. The schools know you're going to be applying elsewhere. Just say that youre here because you're interested in xyz program at school and think you'd be a good fit because (pull something that ties to their mission statement). I'm taking the application cycle one step at a time, there are no guarantees, and I know wherever I end up I'll make the best of it. Med school just gets you in the door it's what you do after that matters.

I never liked being asked that question when I applied, and I don't feel it's appropriate to ask it of applicants. That being said, in most cases, it's probably more a clumsy attempt by the interviewer to try to figure out what you're looking for in a med school (ex. geographic region, school mission, etc) rather than any crazy hidden agenda. If you're interviewing at a school's major competitors, the interviewer might also want to try to sell you on their school over the others.

I wouldn't suggest refusing to answer altogether, but I think it's fine to give a general answer like, "I'm hoping to stay in Florida, so I'm interviewing at all our state schools," or "I'm looking for a school in a big city with lots of research options." Then you can see where the interviewer takes it from there, or work on refocusing the discussion on the current school.

Reactions: 3 users
One of my interviewers asked me
1. How many interviews I had attended
2. How many interviews I had been given
3. How many interviews I expect to be given
4. If I expected any more publications in the next year
5. What my top 3 choice schools are

I was like "wut" and answered as politely as possible, and as vaguely as possible while still answering the question... while also trying to focus on the reasons I liked the school I was interviewing at...

I'm not sure how it will go...

Just tell the truth.

and the interviewer wants to discuss those other schools? It's a pretty easy trap question, could I just say something like "I've interviewed at several different schools, but I'd like to focus on discussing this school, as it's one of my top choices"? Criticizing any other medical school or sounding too enthusiastic about them is a way too easy trap to fall into. I'm also traveling to this particular school to discuss it, not other schools. How would you handle this question?