How do you respond to this question during interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

markus21

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Where have you interviewed and where have you been accepted?

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by markus21
Where have you interviewed and where have you been accepted?
How else can you answer it but honestly. It is the kiss of death...

Yeah, I think this hurt me at some schools but you can't just not answer. I don't understand why it hurts... if anything it should make them want to accept you more but I think it leads to giving the spot to someone with less choices and who seems to "want it more."

Members don't see this ad :)
Just answer it. What difference does it make? I was asked this at most of my interviews and as I was accepted to my first-interview school before I went to the remaining I always had to tell them I was already in. Usually it meant I didn't have to answer the question "What would you do if you don't get in" (!) and instead was replaced with "That's a very good school. I assume as you are still interviewing here you would consider coming here over that school. Why?"

So all it does, no matter what the answer, is determine what the next question will be. I don't think it makes any difference to your admission chances.

Originally posted by DoctorKevin
Yeah, I think this hurt me at some schools but you can't just not answer. I don't understand why it hurts... if anything it should make them want to accept you more but I think it leads to giving the spot to someone with less choices and who seems to "want it more."

that's me... no acceptances... less choices and who wants it more..

I haven't encountered a problem being vague.

When interviewers ask where I've applied, or where else I'm looking, I say Boston, NYC, Philly, DC, etc... That seems to work pretty well. They never probe further to ask which particular schools. ;)

Sometimes, you can use that question as a positive. You can say: I got in to blah blah school and if they ask you if you would like to say anytyhing more to the committee or ask you why you want to go to the school etc..., you can mention that you got in somewhere already and the fact that you came all the way to the interview shows your very interested in this school, blah blah. In addition, I think that some schools might feel a little more pressure to get your decision out quicker if they know you have gotten in somewhere already, but that's just my theory from personal experience. Perhaps they don't want you to "lock in" on a school that accepts you early. Don't know...

Originally posted by FinallyOnMyWay
I haven't encountered a problem being vague.

When interviewers ask where I've applied, or where else I'm looking, I say Boston, NYC, Philly, DC, etc... That seems to work pretty well. They never probe further to ask which particular schools. ;)

I took that approach as well! Same results: no further questions along those lines. :clap:

Besides, I think it is a loaded question and probing a tad too far. Like other people have said, I would hate to have to have my answer to such a silly little question possibly carry a lot of weight in their final decision. Ick.

I've never really understood why people don't like answering this question or why they think it's the "kiss of death." Hogwash. The interviewer wouldn't ask it if it were the "kiss of death." Saying that you've interviewed elsewhere, etc. only makes you look more appealing in their eyes. When I interviewed at Case my dude told me that he always asks that question because he wants to be able to look deeper for things he may have initially missed on apps (i.e. if U of suchandsuch wants him, what do they see that we're missing?). I liken it to a process similar to fraternity rush. A rushee becomes more attractive to a frat when its brothers find out he's liked a lot by a rival frat. The grass is always greener on the other side of the road and people want what other people are trying to keep them from getting. Just answer the question and don't stress over it.

I told Penn State where I applied, where I was accepted, and they called my pre-med advisor and told him that they think there is "no way in hell" I would go there over my other choices.

I think that assumption is bull.

Rocco

is it possible to state that you cannot answer this question??

It's quite difficult to answer, I think. If you do state the schools (especially if it is a higher ranking school, i.e. JH, HMS), then perhaps the school may feel less inclined to accept you b/c you will probably attend one of the "better" schools on your list..

If you don't answer the question, then what is the worst that can happen??? Is it feasible that the interviewer will reject you b/c you do not feel comfortable answering that question??

Just a thought...