How do you review your passages

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

misterwiggles

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
What strategy do you go about when reviewing answers? Do you reread the sections you messed up on, or just simply keep practicing?

Members don't see this ad.

If I review my answers, I focus on both correct and incorrect answered questions but I do spend more time on wrong ones. You would want to reread a section or part of a section if you had more than few wrong answers for a particular subject. For instance, in a Physics/Chem practice test I did few weeks ago, I had 3 incorrect answers from a total of 6 questions regarding solubility and equilibrium constant (that's 50% wrong, clearly something is off), so I went back to study the whole thing again.

Reactions: 1 user
Okay that's how I was doing it too but I wasn't sure if there was a better method to correct yourself that I liked. So do you not really bother when you get like 75%+ on certain subject topics?

Usually, when I miss one question from a subject I'm good at is because I misunderstood the question, rushed, or just happened to encounter one of those tough ones. I Certainly go back to understand what went wrong but I wouldn't review the whole subject.

Members don't see this ad :)
What strategy do you go about when reviewing answers? Do you reread the sections you messed up on, or just simply keep practicing?

All depends on why you missed the question. Not understanding the question? Not being able to make the connection in logic the question wanted you to or you werent' able to reason through the data? Was it just an issue of not having proper background content knowledge?

That should dictate what you do next. In general your percent overall on individual passages isn't that important(hitting 75% or so is fine particularly in the initial stages). I will note usually effective reviewing of passages for me took more time than actually doing them. The questions you got wrong or weren't confident about represent your potential gains. There's no point practicing really if you don't take the time to really focus on those potential gains.