How do you review your practice verbal passages???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RaverMD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all you beautiful people,

I have an inquiry for you and hope that by complimenting your aesthetics you will be more likely to lend a helping hand ^_^

So I'm taking the MCAT June 20. I've taken two practice tests so far and scored a 33 and a 32, with a 10 and 9 on the verbal section respectively. I am happy with my initial scores, but am stuck regarding how to improve my verbal score, or at least give myself a decent chance to score a 10 or better under the pressure of taking the real thing.

My primary issue is that I don't know how to review the practice verbal passages I have been taking. ExamKrackers seems to make a good point--that reviewing the correct answers may be a waste of time and only teach you more about the passage, but not help you improve. However, their system resulted in far too much time being spent on verbal reasoning rather than the other sections, which I assume are much easier to improve upon (I apologize if you are not familiar with the EK system--but it involves reading the passage, writing the main idea, analyzing the questions stems, and relating them back to each other. Not necessarily reviewing the correct answer)

With that somewhat lengthy preface finished, here is my question: How have you reviewed your practice verbal passages that has been helpful?

P.S. This is what this part of the alphabet would look like without Q and R

P.P.S. I am well aware of SN2ed's wonderful MCAT study guide, but am looking for something a little more specific regarding reviewing verbal passages.

Thank you in advance! Here is a mildly creepy emoticon that is meant to express my gratitude :love:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hello all you beautiful people,

I have an inquiry for you and hope that by complimenting your aesthetics you will be more likely to lend a helping hand ^_^

So I'm taking the MCAT June 20. I've taken two practice tests so far and scored a 33 and a 32, with a 10 and 9 on the verbal section respectively. I am happy with my initial scores, but am stuck regarding how to improve my verbal score, or at least give myself a decent chance to score a 10 or better under the pressure of taking the real thing.

My primary issue is that I don't know how to review the practice verbal passages I have been taking. ExamKrackers seems to make a good point--that reviewing the correct answers may be a waste of time and only teach you more about the passage, but not help you improve. However, their system resulted in far too much time being spent on verbal reasoning rather than the other sections, which I assume are much easier to improve upon (I apologize if you are not familiar with the EK system--but it involves reading the passage, writing the main idea, analyzing the questions stems, and relating them back to each other. Not necessarily reviewing the correct answer)

With that somewhat lengthy preface finished, here is my question: How have you reviewed your practice verbal passages that has been helpful?

P.S. This is what this part of the alphabet would look like without Q and R

P.P.S. I am well aware of SN2ed's wonderful MCAT study guide, but am looking for something a little more specific regarding reviewing verbal passages.

Thank you in advance! Here is a mildly creepy emoticon that is meant to express my gratitude :love:

I usually go through the questions and read their logic behind the right answer and wrong answers. It will give you some insight into mistakes you may be making when you interpret the passages.

I have also personally found that reading the entire passage as best I can and then answering the questions is the most efficient way for me to answer them.

It's worth noting that there is no simple way to go after this section though, the only way you can do it is by getting a fairly thorough understanding of the passage in the short time that you have.

I think the best way to start reviewing for verbal is to do the AAMC self-assessment. You'll get a really good idea of the reasoning behind their corrects answers with all that practice. I took notes on the general types of mistakes I was making and subsequently starting seeing improvements.