How do you sell yourself in Secondary Essays?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cerbernator

Retired
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you say why you think you are a good canidate straight out?
Do you explain your circumastances?

I am really bad at trying to sell myself and need some help :oops:

Members don't see this ad.

send "interesting" pictures :D

What sucks is that what will sell you in one place might not sell you at the others.

It is darn difficult to learn what each school wants in app. I guess you just have to be honest and be yourself! :mad: :mad: :mad:

Members don't see this ad :)
Also yes i would be straight forward but not cocky. Trying to beat around the bush often uses too many words anyhow.

!dr_nick! said:
Also yes i would be straight forward but not cocky. Trying to beat around the bush often uses too many words anyhow.

So i shouldnt write about my religious belief that I am the illegitimate son of Jesus and Gene Shalot?

Cerbernator said:
So i shouldnt write about my religious belief that I am the illegitimate son of Jesus and Gene Shalot?

Hmm. Id ask probably run that by a premed advisor first.

all these secondary essays make me feel dirty. for instance:

"why do you want to go to school X?"

translation: kiss our filty asses and tell us it tastes like thanksgiving dinner (don't forget the taint!).

"what qualities would you bring to school X as a student?"

translation: go against everything you've ever been taught about etiquette and talk about yourself. a lot. make yourself sound like He-Man's dad's boss's supervisor x 10. say you're "bigger than jesus."

seriously, cerb, i just go with the "i'm crippled by the irony in my response essay" whereby i proceed to profusely praise myself for my unfailing humility. go on and on about how humble you are. claim that you are more humble than Mother Theresa, and that you could kick her ass, because she sucks (compared to you). then say that you're kind-hearted, because you think all poor people should get free medical care (i learned this by watching snotty college kids lecture total strangers on SDN), and new convertibles.

seriously.

I agree with superdevil. i basically said i was maitreya and would usher in the age of aquarius.

superdevil said:

translation: kiss our filty asses and tell us it tastes like thanksgiving dinner (don't forget the taint!).

translation: go against everything you've ever been taught about etiquette and talk about yourself. a lot. make yourself sound like He-Man's dad's boss's supervisor x 10. say you're "bigger than jesus."

seriously, cerb, i just go with the "i'm crippled by the irony in my response essay" whereby i proceed to profusely praise myself for my unfailing humility. go on and on about how humble you are. claim that you are more humble than Mother Theresa, and that you could kick her ass, because she sucks (compared to you). then say that you're kind-hearted, because you think all poor people should get free medical care (i learned this by watching snotty college kids lecture total strangers on SDN), and new convertibles.

seriously.

LMAO :laugh:

i hate writing about myself and trying to sell myself too.... and i find that the people that can talk **** can't seem to do ****

superdevil said:

seriously.

hahaha, what makes it even funnier is that it is 100% true. i hate these damn essays.

superdevil said:
claim that you are more humble than Mother Theresa, and that you could kick her ass, because she sucks (compared to you).
seriously.

:laugh: that's classic... :laugh:

Use school websites and bulletins, and feed them their own words (in your words of course). Talk about specific aspects of the program that parallel your goals and interests. On top of that, take superdevil's advice Mother C3rb. :D

lol this is getting to be a fun thread.

premedgeek said:
send "interesting" pictures :D

Hahaha. No better way to "sell yourself" than be the street corner prostitute. :laugh: