How do you stay awake

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pepocho

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Headphones on, 2pac on max.

Members don't see this ad :)
Who needs caffeine? Will power

Since I made the "what's your sleep schedule" thread, now I'm curious how you guys stay awake during those tough sleep deprived days. I personally take caffeine pills since I hate coffee.

Why don't you try sleeping more than 4 1/2 hours at night and then you don't have to worry about being sleep deprived?

I know, crazy concept, but you might want to look at the recommendations of the profession that you're trying to enter. If you have to take caffeine pills to stay awake during the day, you're not sleeping enough.

Drink lots of water. You'd be surprised by how well it works. Works for me at least.

It depends on what im doing when im trying to stay awake. Different methods... If studying and i am getting sleepy i give in and go to sleep because it wont be productive studying. I set my alarm clock, then awake refreshed. Also, taking a REALLY Cool shower normally wakes me up and drinking ice cold water. Running in place, yoga for about 10 minutes, jumping jacks (just any form of exercise for about 10 - 15 minutes)

I know, crazy concept, but you might want to look at the recommendations of the profession that you're trying to enter.

I'm sure surgery residents feel the same way...

Since I made the "what's your sleep schedule" thread, now I'm curious how you guys stay awake during those tough sleep deprived days. I personally take caffeine pills since I hate coffee.

Pointless class = Naptime

Members don't see this ad :)
Power nap seems to do it. That and drinking excessive amount of coffee. :oops:

I was really tired this entire week. I think it's because I messed my sleep cycle over last weekend but I keep it to where I try and get all my work done by 1 AM and wake up at 7 AM on weekdays

Who needs caffeine? Will power

I wish will power worked, but at a certain point of sleepiness, you will sleep. I'm a pretty sleep person to begin with, so even caffeine doesn't do much for me. I just need that good 'ol fashioned sleep. Trying not to be stationary for too long helps me stay awake.

I wish will power worked, but at a certain point of sleepiness, you will sleep. I'm a pretty sleep person to begin with, so even caffeine doesn't do much for me. I just need that good 'ol fashioned sleep. Trying not to be stationary for too long helps me stay awake.

This is true. I've been awake for 48 hour straight during finals week. After around 36 hours everything kind of starts feeling like a movie and by 40 hours if you blink you're gone. :laugh:

Standing while working/studying. +1 on willpower though, after my first couple all nighters it got much easier. Caffeine for when fortitude fails.

H2O all day, you'll be surprised at the wonders. Plus drinking lots of water makes you go to the bathroom more frequently which forces you to get up and walk to the bathroom

I'm sure surgery residents feel the same way...

Yeah. That's why I have no interest in going into surgery, among other reasons. I value my sleep and I think it's both unhealthy and unsafe to work excessive hours to the point of sleep deprivation.

OP is only in undergrad and is already limiting himself to 4 1/2 hours sleep a night. Not really much reason to be doing that, IMO and then brainstorming ways to keep awake. If that's because of his study schedule then he's going to be in a world of hurt when he enters medical school.

Some people don't need as much sleep, but if you're having to take caffeine pills to stay awake during the day, that's a signal you're not one of those people.

Getting a whiteboard and standing up while studying and talking out loud what your doing.

This is true. I've been awake for 48 hour straight during finals week. After around 36 hours everything kind of starts feeling like a movie and by 40 hours if you blink you're gone. :laugh:

really?
i used to have insomnia and i'd be up for like 5 days in a row. function was generally normal but couldn't sleep even though i really wanted to

how can running make u stay awake? won't u be tired after u run?

also, +1 to the cold shower

Exercise = increased sympathetic activity = you stay awake.

If you're getting 4.5hrs of sleep per night as an undergrad, I really don't know what to tell you. You're either studying inefficiently or taking on unnecessary course loads/activities. If you're doing this o purpose, well that's just silly. I'd advise you to figure out what it is you're doing wrong and fix it because, like another poster mentioned, I don't know how you'll survive a med school workload if you're struggling this much as an undergrad.

really?
i used to have insomnia and i'd be up for like 5 days in a row. function was generally normal but couldn't sleep even though i really wanted to

Normally yes :laugh: . There have definitely been times where I've slept only a few hours throughout the course of an entire week because of stress, anxiety, etc but I feel like laying in bed staring at the ceiling counts as resting so I was only talking about times where I've had to stay up studying non-stop.

Exercise = increased sympathetic activity = you stay awake.

If you're getting 4.5hrs of sleep per night as an undergrad, I really don't know what to tell you. You're either studying inefficiently or taking on unnecessary course loads/activities. If you're doing this o purpose, well that's just silly. I'd advise you to figure out what it is you're doing wrong and fix it because, like another poster mentioned, I don't know how you'll survive a med school workload if you're struggling this much as an undergrad.

Exercise leads me to take 1-2 hour naps

1. Think of something that makes me nervous (like...medical school applications)
2. Do a weird dance
3. Water!

Weird. If I work-out, I know I'm not going to fall asleep in the next 2-3 hours (unless I had an insanely long day and am dead tired already).

That probably explains it haha. Usually, I like to go for runs, and balancing that with hectic schedules daily = me wanting to snuggle in my warm bed and get a quick snooze in.

Will power and power naps! 10-20 minutes of uncomfortable sleep at the desk works wonders. I try not to rely on coffee or anything like that