How do you stay hydrated and fed on rotations?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
fuzzyerin said:
My interns are still learning what to do, plus I cover them when they are at clinic. My fourth years are helping the PGY3 run a very busy antepartum service. And I was the intern all last year and this happened more than once from MSIIIs. I'm all for letting MSIIIs eat - heck, I want to eat too - but there's a time and a place to ask. It's just a matter of assessing the situation and knowing if it's appropriate to ask a question.

Hey, you MSIIIs out there. I'm an intern and I don't get irritated if you ask me to go eat even if we're busy.

Here's why: 1) Your job is to learn, not do scut for me - I'm really not counting on you to triage patients or keep admissions moving fast. 2) You will learn better if you eat, pee and stay hydrated.

When your intern/resident is very busy it's still OK to eat, just don't overdo the asking part - just catch their eye and say "I'm going to run out - be back in 10 min" or sometihing like that depending on your rapport with the resident. Don't make the asking to go to lunch an annoying interrpution in itself.

Members don't see this ad.

josh's dad said:
When your intern/resident is very busy it's still OK to eat, just don't overdo the asking part - just catch their eye and say "I'm going to run out - be back in 10 min" or sometihing like that depending on your rapport with the resident. Don't make the asking to go to lunch an annoying interrpution in itself.

That's more along the lines of what I meant in my original post. Don't interrupt me if I am busy to ask me if you can go eat. Just go.

I'm not a medical student yet, but when I was in high school, I took this Health Sciences class where I shadowed different areas of the hospital. My first two week placement was with a first year internal medicine resident (who I later found out lived in my neighborhood!). Anyways, every morning, when I'd come in, after greeting me, the first thing he would do was take out this tupperware filled with granola bars, apples, and rice crispy treats. Then he would tell me that I would have to take something before he begins showing me around. When things got boring or came to a standstill, he offered me food, lol.

I guess he values energetic students. He himself, nor his medical students he was responsible for, were never hungary and the morale seemed pretty high. Your superiors need to make sure you are satisfied physically and mentally, in order for you to learn. And I've seen medical students at other placements (including my volunteering) and they seem pretty drained, unlike the students I mentioned before.

Anyways, that was my experience with food and medical students, although very limited. I'd recommend obviously a hearty breakfast and as others mentioned before, having nourishments in your pocket, and maybe some candy (my teacher (a R.N. too) for that health sciences class told me it is good during surgery to combat passing out--although it seemed a little odd and far-fetched, but the reasoning makes sense (glucose or something need to be at a certain level to stay concious and prevent you from passing out, I dunno, I forget) ). Heck, if you don't pass out, suck on a jolly rancher :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, I just started on surgery today and I was told that 'we don't eat lunch' at all. So that was weird especially since the day lasted 13 hours. So I had a small bowl of cereal when I got up and then nothing until just about now.

It seems insane to me, epsecially since you are basically completely ignored except to be given some sharp comments. I don't think I want to go into surgery, and tonight I am thinking I don't even really want to be doing medicine anymore. This is the first day of my third year rotation and I sort of wish I had become an English teacher or something.

:(

Hang in there, Paws. Surgery will eventually come to an end. You may need some time to recover, and many students will experience some degree of PSSD (post-surgical stress disorder, pronounced "P-I-S-S-E-D"). Some students even experience a variant of Stockholm Syndrome, where otherwise decent people begin to identify with their surgical residents and attendings. Some will even begin to believe that life as a surgeon is the only way to be a "real doctor." But as you rejoin civilization, these feelings will likely dissipate. Some day you may even laugh about the whole thing.

I discovered Sigg water bottles this year- the active tops are great, especially when you can only get a swig by lagging at the back of the team as they move from one room to the next.

I'm not sure how to work out. With a family and a long commute, I'm lucky to get 5 hours of sleep a night (on medicine). And that's with my mom cooking meals, my husband doing laundry, and me sticking to just MKSAP and Step Up. But if you start out in great shape, you'll have a longer descent to... umm... where I am.

I like the Kashi bars (pnb) and a bag of baby carrots for my pockets.

As for asking to get lunch- if you're not doing anything else, then go for it! I was SO useless last month, because that's the way my PGY2 wanted it. Whee. Spent lots of time trying to find a place to study. Call me Jade Ed.

Hate to be a party pooper, but I am with the "buck up" crowd. How long can a surgery rotation possibly be? Four, six weeks? You can do anything for that long.

How to survive: Dehydrate so peeing isn't on your mind. Screw the snack foods, keep your white coat pockets full of Excedrin. Yes, it sucks. There is no magical rule that says medical school is like spring break all the time. As for food, protein-heavy stuff was ideal. Tuna salad and chocolate milk was practically all I ate all month, and it was fine. Eating carb heavy crap will just make you hungry again in half an hour.

Also, someone mentioned that they eat slowly. Me too, and if I shove a lot of food down fast I get wicked heartburn and am jacked for hours. So, when faced with shoving food down in three minutes with subsequent misery versus not eating at all and just being hungry, sometimes the latter was more attractive.