How do you stop making stupid mistakes on tests? and tips for succeeding in upper level bio courses?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thisismyacct

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently took my first test for cell bio (also my 1st upper level bio class) and I got a 77 on my test, with the class average being an 80. I would've had an 86 but I changed one answer from right to wrong, didn't read carefully on one that I knew, and got my amino acids mixed up on another. Luckily there are 5 unit exams so I'm not freaking out but I am frustrated. How do you stop making stupid mistakes?

Also,what are some tips for succeeding in upper level bio courses?

Members don't see this ad.

If you have time, make sure you double check your work. Also, you pretty much answered your own question in your post. Make sure you read each question carefully, and don't change your original answers since they're usually correct. There isn't an exact formula for preventing stupid mistakes (they'll always happen to a degree), but paying more attention to detail and double checking your work will help.

Reactions: 1 user
Only change an answer if you're able to reason out why one choice is better than the other. If you're stuck between 2 choices with no real idea as to which one is the better choice, always go with your gut.

Also, quite simply, you need to know the material better. I know this may sound kind of blunt, but biology is largely memorization based. Sure it can help if you're able to make connections to other topics within biology, but the fact of the matter is that you're going to need to memorize small details.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with knowing the material well--repetition is key. The stuff you're shaky on is likely the stuff you only got a chance to look at once before the exam. Try not to cram too much, know when your exams are from beforehand and try to give yourself a week before the exam to start studying.